Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YASA motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
I haven't seen this discussed before, looks interesting:
Technology | Oxford Yasa Motors
The 500Nm YASA™ motor has been developed specifically for electric and hybrid vehicles. The motors are compact (34cm in diameter and 7cm wide), and fit within the space of the front or rear differential of a typical vehicle (the differential is no longer required). The motors output 500Nm per 'slice', with a peak power of around 75kW. This means 2 motor slices are enough for most vehicles. Four slices may be used for sports car type performance, such as the Delta coupe, which aims for a 0-60 time of less than 5s.

Special commendation: Electric avenue | News | The Engineer

I can assure you that response did not come from me or the company I run.

Our motors are pre-production prototypes and are, therefore, hand build using low volume techniques. The are currently quite costly @ around $10k but we aim get this to a 10th of this price in the next couple of years when we start seeing higher automotive volumes.

Remember, direct drive means no gearbox or differential which add pointless cost and weight to current vehicles. A four wheel drive Telsa with 500Nm at each wheel would be a very exciting car to drive.

I was contacted via email this morning from Ajay Lukha. Looks like his is the CCO of the company.

Nick Ferrant, a once member of this forum is no longer with YASA.
We shall see if it goes anywhere.

I'm one that knows everything happens for a reason, so we are at the cross-roads with the project whether we want to proceed gas powered with a Ford/Eaton sponsored supercharged Coyote 5.0 or go EV.

as an EE that loves technology, I would love to see this project go EV but as a small biz owner not sure we can swing it without some buy in from vendor partnerships.

Long term vision if this does go EV is to furnish retrofit kits for all popular classics such as 64-73 mustangs, 67- 69 Camaros, 55-57 Chevy's, 66-70 GTOs, 66-69 chargers, road runners/GTX.

I think there would be a market for the younger, tech savvy hot-rodder's out there that would like more technology in their muscle cars.

Of course we would have a transducer based big V-8 sound producing add on option kit that would make that EV classic sound like the meanest gas powered big block!

Does an EV have to sound whimpy.. HELL NO!
An I have all the technology to make it happen FOR REAL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVZMV0jvuU

Scene from "The Dilemma". An EV made to sound like a muscle car. LOVE IT!
Of course I would go one further... Linear servos on the suspension to make the car twist with the engine torque.

36 years of motion experience.. piece of cake.

Hey Elon, I can design an add on for all your Tesla customers!

Does an EV have to sound whimpy.. HELL NO!
An I have all the technology to make it happen FOR REAL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVZMV0jvuU

Scene from "The Dilemma". An EV made to sound like a muscle car. LOVE IT!
Of course I would go one further... Linear servos on the suspension to make the car twist with the engine torque.

36 years of motion experience.. piece of cake.

Hey Elon, I can design an add on for all your Tesla customers!

Not 'all' his customers. Some of us value the silence. :)

That's whats cool. Volume control on the touch screen. You can have both! All about options.:biggrin:

Nice try :). I'm not about to buy an after-market sound generator with volume control, just so I can turn it off. Now if you offered an after-market sound canceling system, so I could get rid of all those annoying rumbling engines around me, we'd be talking.

:)

Funny you should mention that.. We are developing a axle movement noise cancelling system that cancels out all road irregularities. But it was originally intended for a Non-EV application. I think with the EV it will require too much power.
We will have to stick to typical passive/reactive shocks vs. active reactive servo suspension.
Good thought though.
Bose already has noise cancelling technology that likely could be implemented into an automobile cockpit.