Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea: Crowd funding the SuperCharger “experience”.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that all users of the SC network have contributed to the funding upfront via their purchase of the Model S.

And Tesla is putting these funds to good use, by expanding the network ferociously, just as they are supposed to. So at this point of the rollout, the esthetics of the SC experience has to take the backseat.

However, the SC experience is one of the compelling stories that differentiate the Tesla ownership from all other ownership experiences.

The idea is to create a voluntary crowd fund, towards assisting Tesla and the lot owners to make the SC experience better. Maybe under the umbrella of TMC?

The funds could then go towards speeding up the use of the solar powered canopy’s, and other measures that moves the experience away from the old gas station experience. I’m positive that TMC members would have a lot of good suggestions.

Great suggestion to start thinking about how to improve the SuperCharger experience. I think there are ways to improve, making it much more compelling than ICE fueling stations.

1) improve the walking experience with sidewalks, crosswalks with signals, and hiking trails
2) encourage coffee shops, restaurants, stores, libraries, and museums, to locate within a comfortable walking distance
3) encourage car sharing services to locate adjacent to the SuperChargers
4) provide wifi at the Superchargers
5) attractive landscaping with benches, picnic tables, etc. to make it a "downtown park like" setting
6) keep coming up with other ideas and how to finance them

GSP

Great suggestion to start thinking about how to improve the SuperCharger experience. I think there are ways to improve, making it much more compelling than ICE fueling stations.

1) improve the walking experience with sidewalks, crosswalks with signals, and hiking trails
2) encourage coffee shops, restaurants, stores, libraries, and museums, to locate within a comfortable walking distance
3) encourage car sharing services to locate adjacent to the SuperChargers
4) provide wifi at the Superchargers
5) attractive landscaping with benches, picnic tables, etc. to make it a "downtown park like" setting
6) keep coming up with other ideas and how to finance them

GSP

Air compressor
Vending machine ( I suppose if coffee shops are there it would not be needed)

How about a great coffee shop with lots of lounging areas, Supercharger spots for Teslas and CHAdeMO stalls for the rest. Tesla puts up the supercharger, so no cost there, and the owner pops for the CHAdeMO. All charging is free. The coffee shop is the money maker.

All good suggestions here! One issue is the extremely on- and off-periods when it comes to SC use patterns. Friday and Sunday are good money making days, some other days it will be very quiet...

All good suggestions here! One issue is the extremely on- and off-periods when it comes to SC use patterns. Friday and Sunday are good money making days, some other days it will be very quiet...

When I was in Salina, KS last Monday there were two other Teslas charging so perhaps the weekdays aren't that bad either.

I vote for bathrooms at/near superchargers, it sucks when you're traveling at night and the SC is located in the parking lot of a place that's closed. Do you risk a ticket for public urination or further delay your trip by stopping at a gas station before/after the SC? :p

Safety/legal troll disclaimer: This post is hypothetical, please don't hijack this thread like you so love to do!

I would really just like a canopy of some kind (solar ideally) for sun/rain protection for the outdoor superchargers. The one's I've visited in the Midwest are very well placed at a higher-end shopping mall or in a parking lot of a restaurant so facilities are already nearby.

A squeegee would be nice, paper towels (ala a gas station). Or things that don't need replenishing.. Maybe put the squeegee on a long chain so it's not stolen.. heh.

IMHO While it would be cool to have a "club" type situation at superchargers, I don't think there's enough time to really enjoy it (unlike the typical wait for an airplane) and would give the impression to the public that you'd be waiting an extended period of time while supercharging (which is clearly not the case).

Not all gas stations are going to be open late either... I used to get gas at the same station (for consistency) and would have to just pay at the pump after hours. I think this is to be expected. Who wants another dirty "gas station" bathroom anyway :)

-m

Very good suggestions, everyone.

How do we go about making this a reality, donation vice?

I have my first SC road trip planned for approx. 10 minutes after receiving my new pearl white 85D in April, and is eager to donate some of the "gas" savings :wink:.

As with any money business I suppose the first step would be to nominate a board of trusties, maybe among the senior/moderator population of TMC? A board that could lay out the ground rules going further. Any suggestions?

(And I will still emphasise, strictly voluntary, no obligations)

The Supercharger Team already seeks locations that have services nearby. Tesla's cash is better spent on more supercharger locations. When the Model III comes online, the volume of supercharger traffic will increase substantially and the notion of exclusivity will fade.

I agree with this, no need for lounge etc unless you can hire a masseuse in there (jk)

Practically speaking, when the solar canopies are added en masse (I'm sure they are waiting on a market opportunity for this) they could easily do in some Wifi. Otherwise, I'd let third parties seize the opportunity to offer services nearby once the stations become more popular. It's not Tesla's business, nor my business as a typical user IMO. I'm busy so i just charge and go - and work via my hotspot while waiting.

The Supercharger Team already seeks locations that have services nearby. Tesla's cash is better spent on more supercharger locations. When the Model III comes online, the volume of supercharger traffic will increase substantially and the notion of exclusivity will fade.

Exactly. Tesla's growth model is to lease subprime parking spaces from businesses with amenities that Tesla car owners can use while charging. Not only are the subprime spaces cheaper, but they're less subject to ICEing, because douchebags don't choose unnecessarily long walks.

Part of Tesla's selling point is that businesses get a kickback through increased numbers of visitors. I think it better to engage with the lessors.

Assuming Tesla's Supercharger model is successful, then there will eventually be lots of owners of Supercharger-capable cars, whether Teslas or from other manufacturers. That would have two effects:
- the customer pool would increase, making the presence of a Supercharger more valuable
- the number of BEVs would increase, reducing ICEing both through public awareness and through increasing the likelihood of enforcement.

At that point, charging could be the central focus of a site, and with zero tailpipe emissions allowing the cars to be in fully-enclosed locations, amazing things could happen.