Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Model S Wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to make a decision on purchasing new wheels to replace my 19" stock wheels on my Pearl White P85. I do like the Tesla 21" Turbine wheels but I think I have found something better on EBAY. They are the Avant Guard M310 Silver Concave Wheels. They are absolutely gorgeous and go with the Pearl White beautifully! The problem is: they are a 22" wheel. I am wondering about the handling and ride with these wheels as compared to the Tesla 21" Turbines? Any input would be helpful.

Here is the link to see the Avant Guard wheels: 22 Avant Garde M310 Silver Concave Wheels Rims Fits Tesla Model S | eBay

Given the rim problems people are having with Tesla's 21" wheels, why make it worse with 22's?

I too love the Avant Garde brand--many different yet stunningly well matched wheels for the MS. I'd look at the same or similar styles in a 21" or 20" wheel. Unless you have perfect roads, avoid the 22's (but then that's based on my experience with Tesla's 21's; note that aftermarket wheels may NOT be as strong and most are not TUV-rated (but are JWL-rated, I believe?).

I'm partial to these:

M510 - Avant Garde Wheels

Let us know how it goes...always good to have another data point.

I wouldn't buy joeshmoe brand wheels for my Model S.

These wheels are by BBS

Unplugged-Performance-BBS-Wheel-Rear.jpg

Unplugged Performance collaborates with BBS for 21 inch Model S specific wheel upgrade | Unplugged Performance

I bought the 19" turbine grey wheels from TST. I'm now selling my stock 19" from Tesla (if anyone is interested). I might keep one as a spare to keep in the frunk. I still have the 21" grey turbines that came with my P85. I'll still run them in the summer.

I went with 20" M310s and love them. Stay away from 22s IMHO.
I was told that they only come in 22" and not 20". The 20" might be terrific. Please post some pics of your wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

I could go with these ... but I really like the "hyper silver" of the M310s. Can I get these in "hyper silver" or a reasonable equivalent?

On another note, I just saw a deal on EBAY for used Tesla 21" Turbines for $2K. I am totally undecided now :) ... but I know I want my P85 to really pop. Thanks for your help.

I bought the 19" turbine grey wheels from TST. I'm now selling my stock 19" from Tesla (if anyone is interested). I might keep one as a spare to keep in the frunk. I still have the 21" grey turbines that came with my P85. I'll still run them in the summer.

Just curious, what did you pay for the set of 19" TST turbines in grey? I like the grey 21" turbines, and was hoping to find a set of aftermarket 19" that come in the same style and color (since tesla doesn't offer the turbines in 19").

Looks-wise everyone will have their own opinion and tastes and we think it's great that Model S owners have a good selection to choose from. Having extensively tested 21 and 22 inch wheel options we can say that 22s do look great on the car but the performance penalty is noticeable in both acceleration, braking, turn in and ride quality. It's not something that only costs you three-tenths of a second at the track, it's something you'll feel right away in daily driving. However, 22s do look absolutely stunning on the Model S due to it's size and proportions.

22:
unplugged3.jpg

21:
1600x1000fb3.jpg

We will publish some track testing data later once all of our suspension testing is done but one nice thing about the tire sizes for Model S is that the Michelin tire compound is identical between the sizes which leads to us being able to remove a very big variable when comparing wheels.

Arent 19s generally more expensive then more common 20's?

They are but virtually the entire offering of 20" wheels on TireRack is labor camp made.

===========================================================

Look what I found lurking on BBS USA using the Model S configurator.

1. BBS CHR129 19x8 ET40, identical to OEM:

BBS Road Wheels Detail | BBS USA
wheelPic_11-11-2009_1785.jpg

2. Running the configurator Model S also takes the ET 38mm SV016:
BBS Road Wheels Detail | BBS USA
wheelPic_6-7-2013_2712_thumb.jpg

Both take BBS HW Kit: 09.30.212

As for all the ET32 wheels read the posts on brake damage.

Last edited:
As long as you guys are cool with tons of creaking when you come to a stop (which, with an aftermarket rim, will not be covered under any warranty) the aftermarket rims can be pretty good, however a lot of owners go too wide in the rear and end up rubbing horribly.