Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Selling Cars on TMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gpetti

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Hi
I was going to post an ad on the forum for my P85+ but at the point where I fill in the payment information it is basically assessing a 5% cost for advertising on TMC. Is that normal? on 120,000 selling price that would be: $6,000 charge for advertising and the tool is actually showing a net price of $110,000 which is obviously a 10,000 cost. I can't imagine that other sellers are giving up $10,000 to sell on TMC so I have to assume I'm misunderstanding this somehow.
Any clarity appreciated.

There is no fee on expensive items. We only get a small marketplace transaction fee on the cheaper stuff, where the total price is under $2K IIRC. So we make no money all the cars sold here. Would be awesome if we did, though. Then we could hire a proper web programmer and a server admin instead of me trying to figure stuff out in my spare time. :) I'm curious what eBay charges on car sales.

Well just for the record I would be happy to pay a modest fee but not $10000. I'm not sure what is going on so maybe I'll post a screen capture and someone can explain.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I understand now. It appears that The information I'm seeing is just for PayPal and apparently there would be a pay pal fee of 2.9% and a TMC fee of 5% which amounts to nearly 10,000 on 120,000, see screen cap. Do all sales go though panjo?

image.jpg

No buyer will pay you through PayPal for the car. PayPal won't let the buyer pay you through PayPal for the car. Their fraud detection systems would most surely block the transaction. You have a few options:

1) Use the site to collect a down payment of some kind.

2) Use the "Collect payment on my own" setting to avoid any confusion.

At this time, transaction fees for automobile transaction on the site are not enforced. A few good Samaritans have self reported car sales and submitted donations to the site to help keep it going.

No buyer will pay you through PayPal for the car. PayPal won't let the buyer pay you through PayPal for the car. Their fraud detection systems would most surely block the transaction. You have a few options:

1) Use the site to collect a down payment of some kind.

2) Use the "Collect payment on my own" setting to avoid any confusion.

At this time, transaction fees for automobile transaction on the site are not enforced. A few good Samaritans have self reported car sales and submitted donations to the site to help keep it going.
Hi,
I was not particularly thinking of using Paypal until the site prompted me to use it. Also I was confused about the page (see the screen capture above) as it seemed to be saying that TMC would claim a 5% fee (regardless of using paypal or not). I assume now and from your email that all will be well if I avoid the paypal option.

There is no fee on expensive items. We only get a small marketplace transaction fee on the cheaper stuff, where the total price is under $2K IIRC. So we make no money all the cars sold here. Would be awesome if we did, though. Then we could hire a proper web programmer and a server admin instead of me trying to figure stuff out in my spare time. :) I'm curious what eBay charges on car sales.
Shiftless tech charges 3% of car sales price. For that, they advertise car, meet buyer, conduct test drives collect money complete buffer between buyer and seller. They do anything to make deal go through. As a buyer, they ferried me around, picking me up at airport even. Seller ends up getting close to retail rather than trade in price of used car. It was great experience. They even stored car until transport company picked it up

Shiftless tech charges 3% of car sales price. For that, they advertise car, meet buyer, conduct test drives collect money complete buffer between buyer and seller. They do anything to make deal go through. As a buyer, they ferried me around, picking me up at airport even. Seller ends up getting close to retail rather than trade in price of used car. It was great experience. They even stored car until transport company picked it up

Do you have a link? Google doesn't turn anything useful up.