Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing out of state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

chiv

Oct 31, 2014
Spencer
Does anyone know if you purchase a Tesla in-person out of state at a service center if you can get financing that that state offers?
Reason I ask, the preferred financing options with the resale guarantee are not available in my home state. The resale part is my last major obstacle for buying an S and I'm not interested in leasing.

I'm pretty sure this has been answered before. In any event, I believe the answer to your question is no. The service center is just the state where the vehicle is picked-up. It is the not the state where the vehicle will initially be registered nor the state you reside in, and the financing would necessarily include your home address information, not that of the service center. Tesla's website states that lending is only available in the listed states and that if you live outside of those states you should contact Tesla.

Others will likely have plenty to say about the value of the resale guarantee.

Oh -- Welcome aboard.

Others will likely have plenty to say about the value of the resale guarantee.

I think there's a certain amount of resale protection you get just because other people have this. Think of it like "herd immunity" in immunization. If a significant group of people have the resale guarantee they won't sell their vehicle for any less than Tesla would give them. That helps hold up prices for everyone since there will be far fewer cars available for less than that. Given what I've seen of the used Tesla market so far I think the vehicles will hold their value well. If your concerned about resale market you might want to wait until after December/February and see how the used market looks after the AWD vehicles start hitting the streets. That's probably the first major chance for the vehicle to lose significant value. If that doesn't happen, then I wouldn't be too worried in the long term.

Honestly, I doubt there will be much 'herd immunity'. You only get that resale guarantee if you meet very very specific conditions. Under 15K miles per year, must have done the service every 12k miles or 1 year, and only in months 36-39. Must have at least $1 balance remaining at time of claim. Must finance at least 70% initially (interest expenses).

The value they are guaranteeing is honestly not that great anyway, at only
50% of the original base purchase price of the 60 kWh Model S plus 43% of the original purchase price for all of the options, including the upgrade to the 85 kWh battery pack.

This guarantee costs something, and I wouldn't really bank on this making too big of a financial difference honestly.

Honestly, I doubt there will be much 'herd immunity'. You only get that resale guarantee if you meet very very specific conditions. Under 15K miles per year, must have done the service every 12k miles or 1 year, and only in months 36-39. Must have at least $1 balance remaining at time of claim. Must finance at least 70% initially (interest expenses).

Tesla website says 60-90% of vehicle cost must be financed and that the account must be open for 36 months (not that it has to be open at time of claim). You can make the claim between 36-39 months. Excess mileage above the 15k per year reduces the guarantee by 25 cents a mile.

I'm sure that leaves plenty of people in the position to take it. Clearly some people value it.

The value they are guaranteeing is honestly not that great anyway, at only
50% of the original base purchase price of the 60 kWh Model S plus 43% of the original purchase price for all of the options, including the upgrade to the 85 kWh battery pack.

This guarantee costs something, and I wouldn't really bank on this making too big of a financial difference honestly.

If you're arguing that the guarantee isn't worth it, well I don't really disagree. But then again, the fact that some people have it at least helps to provide a backstop on Model S used prices in the future.

My point was that you probably don't want to do backflips to get the guarantee when you're likely to benefit from it at least slightly without getting it.

Edit: No idea what's up with the formatting of the quote, every time I change it once it's edited it breaks it like that again.

Thanks a lot for the info everyone. It is most appreciated. I'll discuss the resale value a bit with my financial planner and see if I can come to a good decision. It's the second largest purchase I ever made so I am a little nervous!