Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Startup Develops Highly Competitive Solar Power Technology, Needs Investors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Semprius has developed extremely efficient solar cells that are less expensive in overall costs to deploy than those of a natural gas plant, but they need investors to help fund the scale-up of their operations. It would be interesting to see if SolarCity partners with them.

More here: Startup Semprius Fights to Bring Breakthrough Solar Tech to Market | MIT Technology Review.

Welcome, Semprius, to the valley of death. It makes me wonder a bit, with Siemenns already in the mix, if the tech is as good as claimed. Siemenns could invest arbitrarily large sums in Semprius if the tech was as breakthrough wonderful. Why aren't they?

I can imagine internal politics could prevent a company of Siemens' size from doing the right thing in the right time - R&d budgets can be cut and internal projects have more influence than external, etc.
Article looked very interesting though, enough that I would love to hear what the solar experts on this forum think...