Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this "normal" noise while releasing the brake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Only significant when creep is activated.

Picked up my car on the 30th of September. Have had a few small issues here and there. Noisy AC, whirling noise from some of the fans as the car "shuts down", web browser not working, frunk not assembled properly and possibly a few other things. Nothing major. Everything either fixed itself, or service plans to fix it this weekend. (Except for whirling fan, parts are not available for that until November).

One issue I am having is a noise that occurs when releasing the brake. This happens anywhere, anytime that I release the brake. I made a video and attached it below. It seems to be worse when in reverse.

http://youtu.be/5mPtIXa-dtw

I mentioned it to service. They told me that " it seems you’re witnessing the normal brake squeak associated with the Model S and the 21” wheels."
To be fair, he said he does not want to pre-diagnose until seeing it and is not sure until seeing it.

Listening to the video is seems pretty clear cut to me that this is out of the norm. Am I wrong, do all of your cars do this when releasing the brake? I tested out quite a few other cars of different types.
- 1993 Rolls Royce does not make this sound (40k miles).
- 2014 Maserati GTS does not make this sound(2k miles).
- 2010 BMW 5 series does make this sound (60k miles).
- 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena does not make this sound (11k miles).
- 2014 smart car does not make noise. Don't know mileage.

The 2010 BMW 5 Series is the only one that does this noise. I just went and tested it again. It does not make the noise going forward. It does make the noise going backwards, but really only noticeable when first placed in reverse and then moved. If I apply the brake again, but leave in reverse, the noise is negligible. A sound I likely could not capture on camera. The tesla noise is pretty obnoxious, I get a few strange looks when I back out of public parking stalls.

I know all cars are different, but I felt the above says something is wrong right?

Hoping to get some insight from those who know more about cars than me.

Last edited:
I think a little bit of a metallic sound is normal for brakes when the car is new, but your brakes sound pretty noisy. Not sure the garage makes it sound worse in the video, though. How many miles do you have? Turning off creep should help, BTW.

No I don't know what the hell that sound is. Fyi there is no such thing as the 21inch wheel squeak. I have 19s and had the wheel squeak when braking and the fix was new larger rotors. Again there's no such thing as the "normal brake squeak associated with the Model S and the 21” wheels." It happens to some with the original smaller rotors on earlier cars and wasn't specific to 21s. And there was a TSB out to fix it with larger rotors so even still that's def a problem and "not normal".

As for yours, that clunking doesn't sound good. Perhaps you have the new electric brake system that comes with the autopilot cars? Since your car is new does it have the autopilot hardware?

I think a little bit of a metallic sound is normal for brakes when the car is new, but your brakes sound pretty noisy. Not sure the garage makes it sound worse in the video, though. How many miles do you have? Turning off creep should help, BTW.

I noticed it while out on the road. Usually at stop lights or when exiting a parking stall. I made the video when I got home and parked. It has been going on since I got the car.
It has about 630 something miles on it. I've played with creep on and off. I think it still was the same. I will try this though again. Thanks for the recommendation.

No I don't know what the hell that sound is. Fyi there is no such thing as the 21inch wheel squeak. I have 19s and had the wheel squeak when braking and the fix was new larger rotors. Again there's no such thing as the "normal brake squeak associated with the Model S and the 21” wheels." It happens to some cars with the original smaller rotors on all cars (not just 21s) and there was a TSB out to fix it with larger rotors so even still that's a problem and "not normal".

As for yours, that clunking doesn't sound good. Perhaps you have the new electric brake system that comes with the autopilot cars? Since your car is new does it have the autopilot hardware?

Did you buy larger rotors, or did Tesla install them for you as a fix? I do have the new sensors on the car.

That does not sound normal. Do you have the auto-pilot hardware? It could be something weird w/ the new braking system. It also could be something to do w/ the hill hold functionality. In the video you're kind of "jack-rabbiting" and it may be causing the accelerometers to think you're on a hill. There is a slight delay as the car releases the brakes and you can get a little dragging/squeaking sound if you try and take off as the hill hold is releasing. If you're sitting on a flat road and just release the brakes and let creep move the car do you get the sound? Also, have you "bedded" in the brakes? I know Tesla supposedly does this at the factory but I don't trust anyone. Find an empty road and do a series (4 or 5) of quick slow-downs from 60mph or so to almost 0. Then drive for a couple minutes to let everything cool and then do it again. Drive for 10 minutes to let everything cool using the brakes as little as possible.

That does not sound normal. Do you have the auto-pilot hardware? It could be something weird w/ the new braking system. It also could be something to do w/ the hill hold functionality. In the video you're kind of "jack-rabbiting" and it may be causing the accelerometers to think you're on a hill. There is a slight delay as the car releases the brakes and you can get a little dragging/squeaking sound if you try and take off as the hill hold is releasing. If you're sitting on a flat road and just release the brakes and let creep move the car do you get the sound? Also, have you "bedded" in the brakes? I know Tesla supposedly does this at the factory but I don't trust anyone. Find an empty road and do a series (4 or 5) of quick slow-downs from 60mph or so to almost 0. Then drive for a couple minutes to let everything cool and then do it again. Drive for 10 minutes to let everything cool using the brakes as little as possible.

I do have the auto pilot hardware (new sensors, I assume that is what you are referring to).

Never have heard of bedding. Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to take it out right now, test different brake releases as you mentioned (jack rabbit) and "bed it".

Will also test no creep again as mentioned by poster above.

As earlier poster mentioned, when creep is activated it seems much more significant. I just tried in the garage with creep turned off. Still a sound? Yes, similar to that of the BMW with 60k miles on it.

But when creep is activated that is when the sound is very loud. Do others get this while using creep. Is that just a con to having creep and part of the package?

I guess, I need to check mine too, does similar noise when applying the brake at low speed (<5mph).

To be honest, if you had it I think you would notice. It is something that has bothered me ever since I first got the car. It's pretty obnoxious and embarrassing of a sound.

This is not a sound from when actually moving. It is a sound created when my Creep is activated and I release the brake. Slow release, or fast release, I still get the sound.

I will update everyone with what Tesla says today.

I have the sound in the described scenario, it's almost always there when I release the breaks or apply them at low speed (usually when I'm stopping with <5MPH), but never paid attention to it. Mine isn't as loud as yours in the video, but that might be from the recording of the video.

And come on Tesla... don't you check basic things before you hand over the car to a customer?

In answer to this question: No.

My car was delivered around the same time and there were a lot of little issues that a halfway decent inspection/preparation would have caught. I brought most of these to the attention of the service center at pick-up and they were addressed. However, the fan noise issue (I have that, and it was fixed later), bad windshield wipers (fixed later), charge port door was/is a little flaky. The real kicker was this: Incredibly Loud Screech/Tone Over the Speakers

To some degree, I chalk up the poor QC to end of quarter craziness.

I brought it in today. I was told that this noise (based on noise in video) is part of the normal acoustics of a Tesla with 21" wheels. Weird, I have had big wheels before on other cars and never this issue. I think it has something more to do with Creep than anything, but they say this noise is expected on all 21" wheel Teslas. But that "some customers don't notice the same sounds as others even when present", hence why other owners (here on the forums) do not think this sound is normal.

In answer to this question: No.

My car was delivered around the same time and there were a lot of little issues that a halfway decent inspection/preparation would have caught. I brought most of these to the attention of the service center at pick-up and they were addressed. However, the fan noise issue (I have that, and it was fixed later), bad windshield wipers (fixed later), charge port door was/is a little flaky. The real kicker was this: Incredibly Loud Screech/Tone Over the Speakers

To some degree, I chalk up the poor QC to end of quarter craziness.

My driver's side wiper is still not great, I already took into service and they cleaned the window and replaced the blade. Today was the first day that I've had it out in rain hard enough to tell if it was resolved. But since I'm trading the vehicle I'm just not going to worry about it. However, based on the posts here it seems like they have got a bad batch of wiper blades. People with existing cars that had annual service are having problems too.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use Creep, so maybe that's why I don't hear this.

I noticed some weird sounds and behavior with creep when I got my car. Made me uncomfortable so I just turned Creep off.

I brought it in today. I was told that this noise (based on noise in video) is part of the normal acoustics of a Tesla with 21" wheels. Weird, I have had big wheels before on other cars and never this issue. I think it has something more to do with Creep than anything, but they say this noise is expected on all 21" wheel Teslas. But that "some customers don't notice the same sounds as others even when present", hence why other owners (here on the forums) do not think this sound is normal.

I've driven several Model S loaners with 21" wheels, none of them made this sound. I'm not feeling the love from your service center, maybe it's time to escalate?

Really disturbing to hear about poor QC. Why don't you name the service center and service rep who told you it was normal?

I think a lot of it has to do with the big push for end of quarter. Not saying it is acceptable, but I think that is part of the reason. I got my car a month early, so I guess I am ok with a few things needing to be padded up here and there ( ac, fan, frunk placement). The noise from the brakes isn't acceptable in my opinion.

I'm not really comfortable posting SC / Name because I feel like these are the guys I will have indefinitely. If I post their info, then I worry it will just lead to a worse experience for me down the road.

I've driven several Model S loaners with 21" wheels, none of them made this sound. I'm not feeling the love from your service center, maybe it's time to escalate?

I got to hop in a neighbors last night and try his out, no noise and he had creep on and 21" wheels. The service rep also mentioned I already have the new calipers that help reduce noise. To me that is even a bigger red flag. Why would I be getting a noise others with old calipers do not get when I have the new "improved" ? I agree with you on not feeling the love. To be honest I feel he has two options:

1. BS the customer into thinking this is normal, everyone has it but just doesn't notice it like I do.
2. Have to explain to corporate why they are doing a major repair (I assume this would be major? not sure).

Option 1 seems a lot easier, lot less work, and looks a lot better on him to corporate. I'm pretty upset about it, especially on a brand new car. Seems like a sleezball answer I would get buying from one of those dealership companies. What can I do at this point? I worry about escalating because I do not want my local SC to look down on me from here on out and/or effect the work they do for me because "I went over their head".

I have been really impressed with how they have treated me so far until this. I might be wrong, but the more I think about it the more I feel it is not an acceptable answer.