Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service intervals: I got it all wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
When I read the part on the Tesla service I made the mistake to assume they do the same as other car manufacturers. It said once a year or 12500 miles. For every other car manufacturer this mean whatever comes first. I was a little disappointed because in 7 months I already have 26k miles and I thought, darn this will cost me $600 four times a year.

When I dropped my car off today for some warranty issues the lady told me that Tesla wants you to drive a lot so they don't punish you with more service the more you drive. She recommended to do the service just once a year.

Just one more reason that confirms to go with Tesla over another ICE car.

On a side note, they had no loaners so they gave me a Mercedes C class. Granted that's not quite in the same class as the Model S, but man, what a day and night difference. After only 7 months with my Model S it just makes a combustion engine look like such stoneage thing. Noise, fumes, vibrations, just all that nonsense. The way it delivers power just obviously doesn't match the driving needs so a complicated transmission is always switching around, yet when you need power it still isn't available as I want it. I just want my car back! :)

I have to agree on a new found appreciation for the difference to ICEs. My S85 replaced my leased C250 in June, but my wife still drives her matching C-250. I drove it this past weekend for the first time since June and I was shocked at how noticeable were the vibrations, noise, lack of power and annoying shifting patterns. There's no going back.

I remember in the months before the launch of the Model S I was having an argument with someone on an investing forum and they said, "Show me someone that owns an EV and I'll show you someone who will never buy another one again."

Seems to be just the opposite. They can never go back.

When I read the part on the Tesla service I made the mistake to assume they do the same as other car manufacturers. It said once a year or 12500 miles. For every other car manufacturer this mean whatever comes first. I was a little disappointed because in 7 months I already have 26k miles and I thought, darn this will cost me $600 four times a year.

When I dropped my car off today for some warranty issues the lady told me that Tesla wants you to drive a lot so they don't punish you with more service the more you drive. She recommended to do the service just once a year.

Um, no, not according to the info I received from Tesla Corporate:

Service Plan: Mileage Requirement Reinstated

This contradictory information is really frustrating.

Um, no, not according to the info I received from Tesla Corporate:

Service Plan: Mileage Requirement Reinstated

This contradictory information is really frustrating.

I should have mentioned, I did not purchase a service plan. I'm paying as I go. The question for me, as I finance my car, is: will doing the service annually instead of every 12.5k be enough to get the guaranteed resale value?

I should have mentioned, I did not purchase a service plan. I'm paying as I go. The question for me, as I finance my car, is: will doing the service annually instead of every 12.5k be enough to get the guaranteed resale value?

I don't have the guaranteed resale value but when I was asking about service intervals at the service center they asked me if I had this before telling me that once a year was probably sufficient. I got the impression that the answer would have been every 12,500 or no guaranteed resale value. Did you specifically ask them about service intervals and your resale guarantee? What does the resale guarantee paperwork say? Every agreement with Tesla I've seen has said that employees cannot change the terms of the agreement verbally. So if you care about your resale guarantee and it says you need to do service every 12,500 miles, then I would do that service.