Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watertown - Don't let them wash your car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A warning to fellow New England owners...

I think the Watertown Service Center must take the car a local, full-contact car wash (despite the fact that Tesla's own manual says touchless-only). Shortly after my last service (a warranty issue, no less), my car came back covered in fine swirling scratches -- even on the chrome and glass. The windshield is the worst because the scratches catch the low autumn sun and make it look like the windshield is covered in spider webs. Not cool! They responded in disbelief when I called to let them know, so I doubt they're doing anything about it.

So you have been warned: decline the free car wash next time you're in. It's not worth it.

A warning to fellow New England owners...

I think the Watertown Service Center must take the car a local, full-contact car wash (despite the fact that Tesla's own manual says touchless-only). Shortly after my last service (a warranty issue, no less), my car came back covered in fine swirling scratches -- even on the chrome and glass. The windshield is the worst because the scratches catch the low autumn sun and make it look like the windshield is covered in spider webs. Not cool! They responded in disbelief when I called to let them know, so I doubt they're doing anything about it.

So you have been warned: decline the free car wash next time you're in. It's not worth it.

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. i assure you that we do not bring the vehicle to a local car wash, and all washes are done by hand by my trained detailer.

This is the first that I've heard about your situation, so please give me a call or email me at your convenience and I will make sure to resolve any issues that you'd had.

Regards,
Mat.

Last edited:
Hi Mat, P18055 (grey S85 purchased 14 months ago) here and I noted on a recent post-service survey my full satisfaction except for the quality of the wash at Watertown (never had any followup). I think the wash is something that I complain about (to myself usually) where otherwise I enjoy stellar service.

My complaint was not nearly as bad as what was described by the OP, but there are definitely swirl marks in the finish caused probably from dirty towels or towels that contain synthetic fibers or that sort of thing, plus water spots especially in areas like the door jambs, under the frunk and trunk, etc. where water collects during washing but was never cleaned and dried afterward. I'm pretty meticulous about detailing my cars so I notice things like that, not everyone would - it certainly looks nice and clean. But if you look closely, it's frankly not a great job and I would rather you didn't do it since I would go and do it again "right" afterward. It's not hard, but it takes time and care (and the right products) to do it right. I do my exterior including wheels in about 45 minutes to an hour. Interior will vary, I keep mine clean so it doesn't usually need much more than vacuuming or cleaning the all weather mats.

I would be happy to talk with you more about it if that would be helpful. I'll email you privately as well.

Mat wrote back instantaneously and way after hours - explained that when OP and I had our cars washed that they were using a third party detailer (after replacing one in-house who wasn't up to the task), and apparently the third party wasn't either. Watertown has subsequently hired a new detailer and he's confident they will do a much better job next time.

Mat wrote back instantaneously and way after hours - explained that when OP and I had our cars washed that they were using a third party detailer (after replacing one in-house who wasn't up to the task), and apparently the third party wasn't either. Watertown has subsequently hired a new detailer and he's confident they will do a much better job next time.
The last time I went in for service (less than a month ago), they detailed the car and it was done well. I was there waiting, and it was done in-house. I setup a subsequent detailing appointment and the work was top notch. It was pricey, but I wouldn't hesitate to make another appontment in the future.