Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port pin won't retract

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on vacation in Monterey. Went to hook up to the hpwc at the Hyatt and I can't plug in. Looks like the pin won't retract. I'm waiting to hear back from Tesla. I've rebooted, tried the open port door tab but when I press that there is another tab which says unlock(which I've never seen before). Of course nothing happens when I press that. Surprisingly road asst put me on hold, then needed to call me back, then needed to contact service and I haven't hearb back from them after an hour. It's pissing me off as I can't go anywhere while I am here on vacation.

Any ideas besides just waiting for Tesla?

Thanks
Frustarated in Monterey, not that that is such a terrible place to be.

Yes the button to open the charge port door changes to "unlock" when the door is already open.
Since that is not working for you I'm not sure if there's anything else you can try. Maybe close the charge port door, lock the car, then unlock the car again and try using the HPWC button to open the charge port door?

This happened to me once at the San Juan Capistrano supercharger. I was stuck with the plug locked in the chargeport and pressing the button on the plug did nothing; the car believed there was no plug in the port! Luckily there was a Tesla supercharger tech on site working on transformers. He got on phone with Roadside Assistance and by going into my car's trunk, removing the left inner wall, and tinkering with wires (dangerous if you don't know what you're doing!) he got the car to finally realize there was a plug in the port and that it was ok to release it.

I had something similar happen awhile back. I believe I cycled through locking and unlocking the car, and then used the unlock button inside the car.

If that doesn't work, maybe try power cycling the HPWC?

They couldn't fix it remotely so they drove a loaner 90 miles and took mine. Initially they wanted to get me an ICE rental but when I indicated that wasn't good enough they found me a loaner. Except for the initial wait of 90 mins and the rental idea service did right by me and I can continue my driving around Big Sur in an S. Overall 4.5/5 for service. The weird thing is the exact same thing happened the first day I got my S over a year ago and they had to replace the charge port. Hopefully nothing deeper then bad charge ports.

Just to finish off Tesla Fremont kept my S for a week, fixed the port, replaced the C pillar that was buzzing, did the yearly service, and delivered my S back to me at work. They also detailed it for me. Great service experience.