Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Brighness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my MS for almost a year now, so I am a little embarrassed to ask this question now. But this has been driving me crazy since yesterday: How does the auto-brightness setting for the display work?

I see a slider to adjust the brightness manually, and the box is titled - Auto Brightness. How do I actually enable auto brightness? Is it always enabled by default, and simply varies the brightness around what is set by the slider?

6.0 messed with the auto brightness for me. It is always enabled as far as I can tell. All auto used to do is ramp (over time) to your setpoint at dusk and dawn. Now I get 100% brigtness hours after sundown at night. It is terrible. It is set to 0% at night, and 100% during the day.

Also my car will stay on day setting sometimes when I leave my garage after sunset, and 100% brightness.

I see a slider to adjust the brightness manually, and the box is titled - Auto Brightness. How do I actually enable auto brightness? Is it always enabled by default, and simply varies the brightness around what is set by the slider?

I think that "Auto Brightness" originally referred to automatically switching from Day to Night mode, and the slider let you set the absolute screen level of each of the two modes.

With one of the past updates (can't remember which), they introduced a feature that will ramp the Night setting up as it gets closer to switching over to Day mode so that the screens don't wash out as it gets brighter outside. I'm not sure the Day mode does something similar. I don't believe there is any way to turn that new feature on or off discretely.