Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti-Dip on standard 19-inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone plasti-dipped their standard 19" wheels black or gunmetal grey?
I have a Pearl White MS on order and it has the standard 19" wheels.
I may powder coat my 19's black, but first i'd like to see how they look plasti-dipped black or gunmetal grey.
Does anyone have pictures of plasti-dipped standard 19's? Pictures of powder coated standard 19's?

Thanks,
Billah

When done well, wheels sprayed with Plasti Dip look nice. The durability varies depending on driving habits and conditions. When it is chipped, it looks horrible. Honestly, I think you should spray it on your wheels (with them off the car) and see what it looks like. Then take your car and have the wheels powder coated.

How easy is it to evenly coat with plasti-dip? I would worry about tire/wheel balance.

Also how did you mask the brakes when doing this? Did you remove the rims?

Most people just remove the wheels from the car, mask the tires, spray the plasti-dip (comes in cans like spray paint) on, let it dry and then put the wheels back on the car.

I can't imagine it's any more of a problem for balance than painting wheels.

I'm planning to plasti-dip the chrome and the wheels on my Model S...when it gets here. I'm still in the production queue for a vague "December" delivery, but have bought everything while I wait. The wheel center cap decals, the key fob pockets, the premium center console, and even pre-paid for my tint appointment. "December" can't get here fast enough.

How easy is it to evenly coat with plasti-dip? I would worry about tire/wheel balance.

Also how did you mask the brakes when doing this? Did you remove the rims?

Although my Model S doesn't get here for a few more weeks I already bought the plastidip and glossifier because I plan to dip my wheels black. I watched this guy's videos on YouTube and they give you a lot of great tips, etc., and the wheels seem easy enough to do. If you use a garbage bag that you cut almost in half you can wrap your brakes and calipers. They also have a video on their channel where they black out all the chrome window trim on a Model S, and if you search the forum you can actually find pictures of that. There's a shop down the street from me here in LA, that will do that though relatively cheaply, and since I know it would take me forever to get the taping down, I'm just going to take it to him for that part, but do the wheels myself.

Here's a link to a video where he shows how.
PlastiDip on Rims - New Brake Masking System! - YouTube