Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HPWC On EBay from Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, I didn't know they were $750 w/ car purchase. I paid $1250 for one in a store while I was waiting for my car to be delivered.

They are selling them for $750 from the website and from service centers. That's just the new price. One lucky guy got one for $750 shortly before I got my car back in late September. The price drop showed with cars on the evening of the 9th and for the website shortly after the October 9th event. So you didn't miss out by not ordering with the car.

I recently joined to learn more about our soon to be delivered P85D. Monday I bought one of the Canadian HPWC's on Ebay for about $530 delivered. It was delayed one day in the UPS customs facility but still arrived today. Four days from Quebec to California is not too shabby. The HPWC is brand new and factory sealed. I'm very impressed.

Mine arrived brand new and factory sealed too. Rather than do a permanent install, I wired a 14-50 plug into it and installed it last night in place on the UMC. I set the dip switches to 64 amps and then the car to 40 amps and it works fine. I tried it at 45 amps too for a couple of hours checking on the fuse and wires and nothing overheated.

Mine arrived brand new and factory sealed too. Rather than do a permanent install, I wired a 14-50 plug into it and installed it last night in place on the UMC. I set the dip switches to 64 amps and then the car to 40 amps and it works fine. I tried it at 45 amps too for a couple of hours checking on the fuse and wires and nothing overheated.

When you set it to 45 amps, does the master on-board charger take 40A and the secondary one 5A, or do they split the load more or less evenly? Some users like to set to just above 40A in order to engage both chargers in the dual-charger setup. Perhaps someone can comment to any benefits or drawbacks to that.

The Dip Switches are meant to be set for the circuit breaker used and then the HPWC sets the pilot to 80% of that. To get 64 Amps on the pilot, you would have set the Dip Switches to a breaker size of 80 Amps. That is temping the fates with a 14-50 that probably has a 50 Amp circuit breaker behind it. If that is your long term set up, then I would set the Dip Switches to 50 Amps for 40 Amp charging. Many 14-50 installs use #6 wire which if installed correctly can be used with a breaker up to 60 Amps. You may be able to hard wire the HPWC, set the dips to a 60A breaker and charge at 48A, but I certainly would not go higher than that with #6 wire.

Good move getting an HPWC! Great that parts of Canada are subsidizing them for us, even in the U.S.

The Dip Switches are meant to be set for the circuit breaker used and then the HPWC sets the pilot to 80% of that. To get 64 Amps on the pilot, you would have set the Dip Switches to a breaker size of 80 Amps. That is temping the fates with a 14-50 that probably has a 50 Amp circuit breaker behind it. If that is your long term set up, then I would set the Dip Switches to 50 Amps for 40 Amp charging. Many 14-50 installs use #6 wire which if installed correctly can be used with a breaker up to 60 Amps. You may be able to hard wire the HPWC, set the dips to a 60A breaker and charge at 48A, but I certainly would not go higher than that with #6 wire.

Good move getting an HPWC! Great that parts of Canada are subsidizing them for us, even in the U.S.

The only settings are: Test Mode, 12, 16, 24, 32, 40, 64 and 80. There is no 50 amp setting. The good thing is that the car remembers the last setting used so it will not ask for 64 amps again after I manually dialed it down. But I don't recommend anyone else doing this since if the car gets reset, it will again ask for 64 amps. I am the only one who charges my car and I am very attentive when it comes to watching what it is drawing. I like using the 64 setting (rather than 40) since I can dial it up a bit and use both chargers regularly to even out the wear and perhaps less power to each will be better for their electronic components.

Last edited:
The only settings are: Test Mode, 12, 16, 24, 32, 40, 64 and 80. There is no 50 amp setting. The good thing is that the car remembers the last setting used so it will not ask for 64 amps again after I manually dialed it down. But I don't recommend anyone else doing this since if the car gets reset, it will again ask for 64 amps. I am the only one who charges my car and I am very attentive when it comes to watching what it is drawing. I like using the 64 setting (rather than 40) since I can dial it up a bit and use both chargers regularly to even out the wear and perhaps less power to each will be better for their electronic components.

Hmmm... Then the U.S. and Canadian HPWC's must be a little different. Here is a screen shot from page 15 of the HPWC install manual in the U.S.
HPWC install manual - https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/hpwc_install_guide_rev_3.pdf

It clearly shows breaker settings from 40A to 100A as well as the "test mode."

HPWC DIP Switches.png