Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the new seating only available on the P version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traditionally Tesla has always made some features tied to the performance model after a new release. For example, when I purchased my car carbon fibre was "P" only. After about a year, it was unbundled and could be ordered with any model. So it's no surprise that the new seats are used to add value to the "P".

The new seats only real change is the addition of larger bolsters to aid keeping you there in performance cornering.

True, but every other brand such as BMW, Audi gives you the option to choose for the better seating or not. Why not make that a default? In europe we are already paying 20K USD more than in the US for the car thus some might expect something for that as well.

True, but every other brand such as BMW, Audi gives you the option to choose for the better seating or not. Why not make that a default? In europe we are already paying 20K USD more than in the US for the car thus some might expect something for that as well.
Tesla is not BMW. But BMW does similar things, but between model lines. The newest technology shows up in the 7 series and works its way to the smaller cars over time. Right now the S is the mainstream product, and Tesla is essentially treating the P like a different model. Over time I'm willing to bet the seats become an option in the non P model.

Tesla is not making more money on European cars, if that's what you mean. The 20% extra is due to VAT, import tariffs and transportation costs.

Earlier in the year at some event Elon promised the new seats would be retrofittable. His "promises" tend to be optimistic/idealistic, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

My guess is that they need time to ramp up production on the new seats, so they're using that constraint as an opportunity to drive orders of the P85D for people who must have the new seats now and are on the fence about the P85D vs "lower" variants.

Tesla is not making more money on European cars, if that's what you mean. The 20% extra is due to VAT, import tariffs and transportation costs.

As i'm working in shipping and have the contacts with Tesla Tilburg (european distribution center). the 20% is not due to VAT :). Shipping is cheap as they fit 4 Model S cars in parts in a standard shipping container. These containers costs 1300 USD to ship from the US to Europe. As with everything, europe is more expensive we have to deal with it :). The USD and the EURO are often translated 1:1 although the Euro is much more worth is happens with everything. In one point of time it was cheaper to Import a BMW from the states including shipping etc. then buy it directly in The Netherlands. And the freaking car is build in Germany! So imaging that: Car build in Germany shipped to the US, shipped back to Europe result: Cheaper car than buying directly from a dealer. It is a strange world we live in :).

Anyway to come back to the topic it would have been nice to see that the new seats would have become available for all the D versions. 5.2 seconds to 60 Mile is not a slow car thus additional support would be nice.

If I take my config on the US site, convert to € and add 21% sales tax I get almost the exact same price. Not counting shipping, insurance, import tax,...

Let's also not forget that the USD/EUR FX rate has been all but stable over the last couple of months. We should be happy Tesla did not increase the price in EUR by 10%. 10% less margin on European sales is significant.

As to the subject of this thread, Tesla probably has volume contracts in place for the previous generation seats. I assume the new seats will become available as an option later. Just as it is already possible to reduce the price of a P85D by "downgrading" to the previous generation seats. Tesla is a pretty lean company trying to bring new things to market as soon as realistically possible.

Last edited:
Tesla is not BMW. But BMW does similar things, but between model lines. The newest technology shows up in the 7 series and works its way to the smaller cars over time. Right now the S is the mainstream product, and Tesla is essentially treating the P like a different model. Over time I'm willing to bet the seats become an option in the non P model.

I would say Tesla has been better than others. For examples the seats in a BMW M3 are different than the M-Sport option in the 3 series. Same with Audi RS models and Mercedes AMG models. These are never offered outside these builds.

Let's also not forget that the USD/EUR FX rate has been all but stable over the last couple of months. We should be happy Tesla did not increase the price in EUR by 10%. 10% less margin on European sales is significant.

As to the subject of this thread, Tesla probably has volume contracts in place for the previous generation seats. I assume the new seats will become available as an option later. Just as it is already possible to reduce the price of a P85D by "downgrading" to the previous generation seats. Tesla is a pretty lean company trying to bring new things to market as soon as realistically possible.

Just hoping that they will change it in the next 2 weeks so I can order my version with the new seats :)

I would venture to say there are two forces at work:

1) Tesla wants to make the P85D a little bit special, so only the P offers the Carbon Fibre Spoiler, Red Brake Calipers, the option of the Next Gen Seats or Piped Seats and of course the 0-60 performance and the tuned suspension.

2) There is probably an inventory or contractual agreement with the seat vendor/supplier and the original seats or contract needs to be consumed.

I think the Performance model should have more distinguishing features at least visually.
You have to really know the car to tell much difference between an entry model and a top of the line one.
Bolstered seats make more sense in a higher performance car but I can see why people would want them at any performance level.

I think the Performance model should have more distinguishing features at least visually.
You have to really know the car to tell much difference between an entry model and a top of the line one.
Bolstered seats make more sense in a higher performance car but I can see why people would want them at any performance level.

Agree with you in the distinct between the 2 cars. Same as with the Audi RS4 seating. However the normal model already has so much power that all the support that you can get would be good to have.