Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Homelink not recognizing garage door remote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it worked before, because I set it to another garage door.

This is a LiftMaster, remote model 890MAX FCC ID: HBW7965

I go into settings and eventually get to the point where the VDS tells me to point the remote at the left speaker and press the button until the VDS says OK. After over a minute, the VDS is still doing the timeout countdown from 5 minutes. I'm inside the car with the remote right above the speaker.

Any ideas?

At some point, the VDS should move on to the security programming, where you have to push the button on the actual opener (not the remote) to link up with the car. It's like pairing bluetooth; you have to enable the opener to be synced with the car.

At some point, the VDS should move on to the security programming, where you have to push the button on the actual opener (not the remote) to link up with the car. It's like pairing bluetooth; you have to enable the opener to be synced with the car.

OK, thanks - do I continue to press the remote button, or just let the thing time out? I did this away from the garage since I didn't want the remote pressing to actually open/close the garage door, just wanted it to program the Roadster.

for doors with this "feature", after doing the initial linkup you describe, you have to press the "learn" button on the opener till the little light flashes (only takes a second or two), which gives you 30 seconds to then press the homelink button on the car. if door moves, you are done. if not, press homeland car button again. door should move.

OK, those suggestions aren't working.

When I go into learn mode, the car goes into a 5 minute timer, which times out. It then asks me if I want to retry, and if so, it does the same thing again.

This is for a second location. But I can't even get to the point of naming the second location.

I guess I could teach my garage door opener to "learn" the first location?

Anyone actually run into this and found a way out?

thanks

You need to make sure the opener, not the remote, is homelink compatible. My guess is, with the security features, there's probably some two-way communication going on that needs to be detected in order to program the homelink in the car. You need to be next to the opener so you can press the learn button on the opener.

I I have two chamberlain openers, which is the same company that makes liftmaster. I have both programmed to my roadster.

You need to make sure the opener, not the remote, is homelink compatible.

Not my issue.

My guess is, with the security features, there's probably some two-way communication going on that needs to be detected in order to program the homelink in the car.

My guess is that the recent change to Homelink frequencies is what's causing the problem. You can read about it here.

"LiftMaster has created a new version of our remote control rolling code called Security+ 2.0. This new technology increases radio range and virtually eliminates interference. This code did not exist prior to 2011. HomeLink is manufactured by an automotive supplier that licenses our technology for use in vehicles. HomeLink now offers a "repeater kit" that allows any HomeLink-equipped vehicle from 2000 - present to communicate with any Security+ 2.0 garage door opener. "

The Homelink unit in Roadster predates 2008.

My guess is that the recent change to Homelink frequencies is what's causing the problem. You can read about it here.

So, yeah, that was the problem, as the repeater kit lets me open the door via the Roadster. Of course, this also bypasses the new security and since it requires a plugged-in repeater, if the power goes out the opener battery back-up won't help unless I keep the original remote in the car, which I'll do.

I have two chamberlain openers, which is the same company that makes liftmaster. I have both programmed to my roadster.

I bought a Chamberlain universal receiver (PR433-4) and a Chamberlain remote (TX4RUNI). I installed it and it works, but I don't succeed in syncing the car with it.
The tech support did confirm it should work, but I believe now he doesn't know the roadster and wrongly confirmed Model S compatibility.
The repeater kit mentionned above, is what I now believe I need. But it's no longer available on their site. Frustrating...

I'm having issues as well pairing the Homelink to my garage door opener.

Craftsman Model 139.30498

I'm point the remote and holding the button above the left speaker as per the instructions but the VDS doesn't really do anything other than count down the 5 minutes.

Any suggestions?

I'm having issues as well pairing the Homelink to my garage door opener.

Craftsman Model 139.30498

I'm point the remote and holding the button above the left speaker as per the instructions but the VDS doesn't really do anything other than count down the 5 minutes.

Any suggestions?

It didn't work with my newer garage door opener either. I believe some openers use an advanced/safer method where the transmission is somehow scrambled or encrypted to reduce risk of break ins. And apparently the home link doesn't support those.

I reinstalled my old drive and it worked right away.

It might be a limitation of the Tesla Roadster due to its age (can't support tech that was introduced after it was developed)

Seems like it’s easier to program the second spot after one is already set up. In my experience, push the garage remote several times during that five minute countdown.

If you have a rolling-code opener, the. It should prompt you to press a button on the garage door opener to sync things up. Eventually.