Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer models have an LED plug on passenger side rear (Vin 40k+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not opt for premium lighting and was very disappointed with the feeble lighting of rear trunk.
After some fishing around, I found the LED power connector on the passenger side (same plug as the LED in glove box, and frunk) that was taped to a wire bundle but partially dangling. cutting the white securing tape gave another 3-4 inches of play. Checked on a multimeter and it activates only when trunk open! Yippie!
Was able to thread a wire through the back of the trunk between the liner and body with fish tape to the other side and now have 'ultra premium' lighting in rear!
Pics attached:

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 4,415
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 4,298
Yes, and there is NO power on it. :crying:

Well that is unfortunate, is the premium lighting enabled with a button on screen or is it always on?

Note that the lighting in the doors are NOT always on. I don't have it in my car to tell you when it does and doesn't work. So to FrederikC I suggest you recheck again under different situations.

My VIN# is 50K+ so I hope to find same wires in rear trunk to add LED strips under the parcel shelf rests.

Q: are there 2 plugs available, one on each side of the car?

Where do I go in the car to find the plug, is full panel removal necessary, any write up with hints for what snaps and fasteners come into play to do panel R&R is hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!