Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cabazon, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove by today and construction has (barely) started. The area is fenced off and they had done some cuts in the pavement.

I spoke to the workers and they said it will have 10 stalls and they are aiming to be complete by nov 24th - I'm guessing this just means their portion not the power co / transformer delivery.

It's in the far far west corner (past McDonalds) which should provide good access via the Malki rd exit. Also, I doubt this location will be ICE'd.

ktNs1oel.jpg

(looking east toward McD)

IpPnwkNl.jpg

OGzlsGDl.jpg

(looking west)

XfeFFysl.jpg

(from main rd)

I am happy to see this being built. Heck, I am happy to see any SpC being built. With the increase in MS's in this region, along with the upcoming X, we will need plenty of stations. The I-10 is now getting flooded with SpC's: Rancho Cucamonga, Cabazon, Indio, Quartzite, Buckeye.

I just wonder, however, what particular niche does this fill? Indio is an easy drive from Rancho C. Even from L.A. in a 60 should be easy. So, why here except for the ability to skip Indio and make Quartzite (or just charge less, yet faster, at each stop)? Just more opportunities to charge, just like gas stations? Again, this is a good thing. I am just interested to see if I am missing other route options where this is advantages.

I just wonder, however, what particular niche does this fill? Indio is an easy drive from Rancho C. Even from L.A. in a 60 should be easy. So, why here except for the ability to skip Indio and make Quartzite (or just charge less, yet faster, at each stop)? Just more opportunities to charge, just like gas stations? Again, this is a good thing. I am just interested to see if I am missing other route options where this is advantages.

It is a busy route between LA/OC and Phoenix. But in general the idea is probably to have Superchargers in many convenient locations instead of only placing them in 100 miles intervals.

@AZbba.. Thanks for making the trek to Cabazon CA and the photos!!:cool: I thought it might be a few more days before photos showed up!! We sure will need those trees for shade on hot summer days:cool:! I was kinda hoping the superchargers would be in the new parking garage:tongue:!!

@AZbba.. Thanks for making the trek to Cabazon CA and the photos!!:cool: I thought it might be a few more days before photos showed up!! We sure will need those trees for shade on hot summer days:cool:! I was kinda hoping the superchargers would be in the new parking garage:tongue:!!

I was thinking about that, but 2 issues. First they'd be ICE'd constantly and second all of the conduit and cabling would be quite ugly.

The whole place was really crowded for a tuesday afternoon. Most of the parking structure was full.

As for the 10 stalls, I think they are just going big with everything now. Much cheaper to build it bigger than needed than to add more in a year or two when the X comes out and demand is 3x what it is now. I can't wait to see how big they make the SD location. We might see 20.

The location also covers people going from LA/OC/SD to Palm springs much better than Indio as you'd have to go out of the way to charge there.

I hope there's not a problem with people plugging in and then going shopping and not wanting to trek all the way back over when the cars's done so they just leave it there for 2-3 hours.

I am happy to see this being built. Heck, I am happy to see any SpC being built. With the increase in MS's in this region, along with the upcoming X, we will need plenty of stations. The I-10 is now getting flooded with SpC's: Rancho Cucamonga, Cabazon, Indio, Quartzite, Buckeye.

4super9,

The Rancho Cucamonga SC is located on I-210 near its junction with I-15. I-210 is the freeway of choice for travelers from the San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Ventura/Santa Barbara, and those headed to/from the Grapevine if their destination is Palm Springs or Phoenix. This freeway bypasses downtown Los Angeles and the East Los Angeles Interchange where there is always a bottleneck. Rancho Cucamonga is also convenient for travelers from Orange County or San Diego who are headed to Las Vegas, or eventually the Eastern Sierra.

Cabazon is on I-10 about halfway between Banning and the Palm Springs exit. It is more convenient for travelers from the South Bay, Long Beach, and Orange County as they can work their way onto Interstate 10 from SR60 or SR91.

I think these placements are not redundant, but convenient so travelers don't have to drive 20-40 miles out of their way to get a charge!

- - - Updated - - -

It's also convenient for people heading to and from Rt. 62. You can use that way to connect straight to the Needles supercharger that will be coming soon.

Sarge,

A faster and better route to take to get to Needles would be to take Interstate 10 east to its junction with SR177 at Desert Center, about 55 miles or so east of Indio. That highway travels slightly northeast and junctions with SR62 about 50 miles west of Vidal Junction and US95. One can travel at interstate speeds for about half the journey, and does not have that steep and dangerous incline to reach Yucca Valley with its 4-5 miles of traffic lights and 35MPH speed limit.

Cabazon is on I-10 about halfway between Banning and the Palm Springs exit. It is more convenient for travelers from the South Bay, Long Beach, and Orange County as they can work their way onto Interstate 10 from SR60 or SR91.

Ah, yes. I see that now. SR60 does not go near a SC until Cabazon. Even though Indio could be hit with a MS60, every additional option is a good one!

I think these placements are not redundant, but convenient so travelers don't have to drive 20-40 miles out of their way to get a charge!

I wouldn't say that too loud in case there is anyone who lives in Missouri or would like to escape the Texas island in the room. California may be thick with Teslas, but it seems like completing I-70 or bridges to Texas from the east and west would ordinarily be a higher priority use of limited supercharger team person-hours. That's why I think this is an opportunistic installation made very easy by the mall.

This will be a wonderful addition to the Supercharger network.

It's also convenient for people heading to and from Rt. 62. You can use that way to connect straight to the Needles supercharger that will be coming soon.
CA-62 is also the preferred route, from most of SoCal, to access Joshua Tree National Park's most popular rock climbing, hiking, and camping areas.

Well I can say this. On our way out to Disney last Wednesday. At 1 pm I pulled into charge at indio. We were the only ones and I was surprised. But then within 5 min 3 others came in. So half the stalls were being used. We walked over to babies r us and lunch at Panda Express as we needed a full charge on the 60. By the time we left, the other 3 were gone, but 2 others had shown up. So indio was fairly well utilized on a wed afternoon.

I agree with a previous post, that the Outlet and or Morongo provided a great deal - this allows for the Outlets/Morongo to draw Tesla Drivers as a destination - good thinking- fun afternoon drive with kids and then return without needing to drive into Indio - so kids get fed, Model S gets fed, mamma gets fed, and dad, well he gets to drive with the silly grin on his face - it shows that Tesla will definitely fill in in high use areas -