Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM CEO Mary Barra on Tesla: 'We just want a level playing field'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She doesn't really want a level playing field. A level playing field would mean each manufacturer gets to choose the sales method it thinks works best for itself, rather than the state dictating a sales method that favors some companies over others. What she wants is for Tesla to be burdened by the disadvantage GM has as a legacy manufacturer that is locked into a franchised dealer network.

Seems to me if she wants a level playing field, she could do quite a lot to throw GM's weight around with the state legislature. For instance, she could tie any future manufacturing jobs in Michigan to easings in the state's dealership laws, maybe even start kicking in some campaign contributions to counter the dealers.

Government Motors will never go belly up. They spend so much money on the DC wxxxxs that they will get floated like Renault and Citroen every other year, regardless of how many reacalls and half-baked ideas like the ELR:)

After what GM did to my beloved SAAB I made it my goal to discourage anyone I know from buying one.

As long as NASA will need to keep the ISS, lunar/asteroid/Mars going Teslas will be around, not by dirty politics but by being there to help.

And one more before I shut up, the clean nerdy looking and actually useful low pressure characters manning the Tesla showroom are such a welcome change from the commissioned pushers at dealerships, up yours N.A.D.A., when Elon goes to the Supreme Court eventually and wins you will get espanol nada :cursing:

Last edited:
I'm imagining the horse and buggy and buggy whip dealers of the turn of the 20th century complaining to Ford and GM that they just want a level playing field....

As a Catholic I can say that was better than getting burned at the stake after a week in a torture basement just for stating that the Earth was round, but then the Big Bang theory wad formulated by a priest.

A giant multi-national multi brand automotive behemoth versus a small niche manufacturer that is manufacturing less than 1% of the total market. Even though GM does not make the best cars, they have lots of manufacturing capability. Until Tesla grows quite a bit with model 3 it will not be a level playing field. Despite their size and ability, GM may be the next Eastman Kodak.

A giant multi-national multi brand automotive behemoth versus a small niche manufacturer that is manufacturing less than 1% of the total market. Even though GM does not make the best cars, they have lots of manufacturing capability. Until Tesla grows quite a bit with model 3 it will not be a level playing field. Despite their size and ability, GM may be the next Eastman Kodak.

Exactly! This is like an International Soccer player saying this about competing with a middle school little league team. It makes no sense and its clear its simply to stifle ANY competition.

GM has a great car in the Volt. It is a very good EV with ICE training wheels. It has spectacular customer satisfaction numbers. Not as good as the Model S but far above average for a regular car. GM doesn't sell it very well. In fact is has just reasonable numbers. We've read plenty of stories from owners and people shopping for the car that Chevy salespeople are, at best, lackluster in their desire to sell the car. That tells me that GM isn't supporting the car or their salespeople would be interested in selling the car. So, Mary Barra, your excuse is that Tesla has an advantage because they don't have dealerships? Give me a break. How about that they are a better company doing a better job of selling their car - WITHOUT ADVERTISING!

By the way, when was the last time anyone saw a commercial for the Volt?

IMO this has nothing to do with Tesla and everything to do with GM sucking up to their dealers and their dealership associations.

I read today that GM is spending $1.86 billion to improve their electrification program. Just imagine what Tesla could do with $1.86 billion dollars and it becomes apparent why Tesla will continue to make most major manufacturers tremble in their collective boots.

I guess even if every manufacturer were to start making electric cars, I would still buy a Tesla. In my opinion they seem to be the first actual electric car company that made it and frankly if you go with someone who invented the first compelling long distance car you can't go wrong. Unless Tesla stops innovating or progressing why own another companies vehicle if what you are looking for is the definitive made electric vehicle.

Tesla has a lot of "We were there first" potential. I can't explain it, but other companies just end up looking like copy cats or individuals who are playing catch up. Tesla seems determined for quality as well, which gives them huge points. Their CEO is sincere about said quality where you get the feeling other companies are sincere about their bottom line.

I guess even if every manufacturer were to start making electric cars, I would still buy a Tesla. In my opinion they seem to be the first actual electric car company that made it and frankly if you go with someone who invented the first compelling long distance car you can't go wrong. Unless Tesla stops innovating or progressing why own another companies vehicle if what you are looking for is the definitive made electric vehicle.

Tesla has a lot of "We were there first" potential. I can't explain it, but other companies just end up looking like copy cats or individuals who are playing catch up. Tesla seems determined for quality as well, which gives them huge points. Their CEO is sincere about said quality where you get the feeling other companies are sincere about their bottom line.

Who wants a knock-off when you can have the real-deal?

Yeah think the same way, i often wonder if there will be an alternative vehicle from another company, likely the japanese or koreans manufacturers, that will pique my intererst. I do however think i will support tesla anyway even if the alternative is just as good and costs far less

GM is not Kodak. Do some research and you'll see that GM has significant efforts in electrification. They're doing a lot of research and insourcing the component manufacturing. Volt 2.0's coming next year. At least wait until then.

GM knows that dealerships are a significant drag both in terms of cost per vehicle and in introducing new products, which is why they've been trialing an direct, WYSIWYP Internet ordering system that dealers can opt into. Since it is stuck with franchises, it understands that if Tesla or any other company scales and brings down costs they would have trouble competing because of the $2k dealership overhead.

Mary recently took over as CEO and very well could have said they are going in a new direction thanks to what Tesla has done with the EV, but she did not. She said something in one of her interviews like "We will continue to do what we do well"..........which is what? Make recalls? hahahaha