Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging an EU Roadster in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have to charge the Roadster (European) in the UK some time next week. Does anybody know if I can do this with the normal mobile connector (+ an adaptor for the socket)? Will the charging work with 110V??

thanks and rgds,
Alef

Hi Alef,

First off, we don't have 110V in the UK - it's ~230V like the rest of the EU these days (I presume that is what you meant by the last question).

Secondly, while an adapter will work, please check carefully what the maximum current is that the adapter can handle. Many are 10 Amps or less. Check that it is earthed/grounded as well.

While the typical European socket outlet will supply 16 Amps, a normal UK domestic outlet is rated at 13 Amps maximum.

Ah, thanks a lot! Confused a bit, since I though UK was 110 as well... Haven't been there for a while :smile:

I checked the adapter can take 16A, so that's going to be all right. I'll make sure the car won't draw more tan 13A, just to be on the safe side.

a

Hi Alef,

First off, we don't have 110V in the UK - it's ~230V like the rest of the EU these days (I presume that is what you meant by the last question).

Secondly, while an adapter will work, please check carefully what the maximum current is that the adapter can handle. Many are 10 Amps or less. Check that it is earthed/grounded as well.

While the typical European socket outlet will supply 16 Amps, a normal UK domestic outlet is rated at 13 Amps maximum.