Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My custom-built charging-station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there

this is my 1st post here, so let me introduce myself first:

When I was a kid, I was "infected" by the e-mobility-virus by my uncle (Eisenring Engineering | Stromboli Electric Vehicle, Small Hydropower, Electric Vehicles, Renewable Energy Photovoltaics) who built some of the first EVs here in Switzerland and also won a lot of competitions with them. I helped him sand his female-molds for his body-work of the later car you can see on his site when I was around 12.

22 years later, I am owner of my own small company doing UX- and SEO-optimizations for companies here in switzerland (raffiniert media gmbh | Webconsulting, Entwicklung, Design), I live in my own passiv-house (Detailansicht) and I'm a very satisfied owner and fan of a Tesla Model S.

Because my hobbies involve lots of crafting (RC-modeling, home-built electric bicycles etc.) I had to build my own charging-station.

So this was the plan I've drawn in CAD:

ladesäule2.jpg

and after a lot of work with 2 friends of mine, this is the result:

Raphael Jeger on Twitter:

The charging-stations has two CEE16-plugs on either side and one on the inside (there are 2 service-covers on the backside). The one on the inside is not yet used, but was installed for having a 2nd UMC permanently connected to the charging-station. Now the time has come, winter will soon arrive here in Switzerland and I'd like to install the 2nd UMC. I was frightened when I noticed that this part (Tesla Gear Shop Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer) to hold the plug on the HPWC / UMC is only available for the US-style connector - not for the EU "Type 2"-Mennekes connector.

Now I hope someone has an idea - in the german Tesla-Forum, someone told me to ask Tesla to get a Supercharger-spare-part-cable-holder (what a word ;)), but I don't think I'll be able to get one of those.

Anyway, I thought I'd try my luck here.

Cheers!
Raphael

In Australia we are also getting Type 2 connectors for our Model S.
I have not got my car yet but my wall connector is installed.
I asked about the cable organizer and they said they did not make one to fit Type 2 plugs but perhaps one would be available in 2015.
I'm not holding my breath. ;_)

Beautiful work!

As for the cableholder (I propose the German word Superchargerersatzteilkabelhalter :smile:) my first thought would be to try to 3D print something going of measurements of the charge plug. Also, keep in mind that the EU connector is a standard Type 2 Menneks connector so that there could be many other manufacturers that would have an appropriate spart holder part.