Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractible solar umbrella

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
This flower-like solar panel is so light that you can use it to power your car while youre driving | Grist

hui_lotus.png

lotus-mobile-2.jpg

07_carandcoffee_2_2014_med.jpe

Flower-like Solar Umbrella Powers Car : Discovery News

I've seen them assemble that canopy... Really wouldn't call it "retractible" thought -- assembly took at least 30 minutes -- and all the parts were not stored in the Roadster...

Basically, they removed the passenger seat and welded in some steel plates to support the post. The metal post goes in, and then the solar panels are mounted on the post and all plugged in together.

Neat idea, but the concept is really more of a back-yard solar array that could be on a solar-tracking mount. Put a table underneath it in the shade!

Dr."SolarMan" does a great job marketing his solar ideas with that Roadster. The Valley of the Sun will be a whole lot less interesting if he ever moves away.

That's me he's talking to in that third photo! It was at a Cars & Coffee in Scottsdale; late February, I think.

Dr."SolarMan" does a great job marketing his solar ideas with that Roadster. The Valley of the Sun will be a whole lot less interesting if he ever moves away.

That's me he's talking to in that third photo! It was at a Cars & Coffee in Scottsdale; late February, I think.

I was at that event, too - in the unmodified Orange Roadster. I love Dr. Hui. He's a little nutty and he knows it, but its part of his marketing. I really do admire and respect his passion and advocacy for renewable energy out here. He's very popular with the kids at these events and they run up to him saying, "Solarman!" He can just as easily have a very intelligent and thoughtful adult conversation of course, too. I mean he is a real professor.