Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ranger service using car lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is the correct place for this post so I thought I'd still give it a shot.

Tesla says that their rangers can't fix certain problems because they don't have a lift and therefore need to to take it to a service center.
I'm about 180 miles from a service center so I'd use a ranger to check out problems with the car. If I had a lift , which I intend on getting one soon, would a ranger be able to use it to fix certain problems.

I guess I can ask a service center but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had one and it worked out in them using it

I don't have a lift, nor did I ask a SC; however from a liability stand point and our litigious culture, my guess is the answer is no even if you owned a lift. What happens if your lift fails and crushes the ranger? Does your home / liability insurance cover use of your equipment by a professional? Will Tesla's workman's comp pay for the ranger's injuries since he's on the clock, or will you since it's your equipment that failed?

The equipment they would need, even if you had a lift they trusted and could use, would be back at the shop. Not to mention parts that need repair or replacement. The Ranger vehicles are usually stocked with the tools and parts they need for local service. I'm about 220 miles from my closest service center. It really isn't a big issue, 75% of the time they have my car back to me the next day. 15% back in 48 hours, and only 10% has it been longer. They usually provide me a loaner and only once have I had to use a local rental vehicle. I know it seems like an ordeal, but they make it work quite nicely.

Thanks for the responses. I thought that might be the case (liability) and (as others brought up) other equipment as well.

I'm starting to notice a squeak in my air-conditioning compressor fan and was hoping that I would not have to go to a SC. Ranger might not be able to do it at home.