Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recording Rated Range and Fluctuations (Submit Your Range)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Friends!

There was a short discussion in the Decreasing Rated Range thread to perhaps start up a tracker via a Google Document to better see the scope of range decrease. This objective that I am doing here has nothing to do with complaining, nor is it to highlight that there is or isn't a problem. I just felt it would be refreshing to have a non-emotional, no-nonsense number scheme we can all check and participate in. This will help give perspective on several levels and also give us numbers to back facts and opinions we hold about our cars. Tesla knows all about our data and I think it would help a lot of people on the forum if we did too!

My goal is that drivers will come to this thread, update their mileage and their current rated range both at MAX and 90% at every 10k mile level. We can make it every 5k if you'd like as well the chart is open to discussion on what we feel is important information. Here is what I need from you, if you feel this is a viable option to help us understand where we stand:

1) It would be awesome if I had help to add these submissions, so I am looking for volunteers to modify this doc and check on this thread from time to time for new submissions.

2) Each person fill out the following:

A) Username:
B) Model: S85/P85/P85D etc...
C) Battery Type: A/B/C etc...
D) Month-Year Delivery of Vehicle:
E) MAX Rated Range at Delivery:
F) 90% Rated Range at Delivery:
G) <MILEAGE> MAX Rated Range:
H) <MILEAGE> 90% Rated Range:

Currently I have them in blocks of 10k miles so in my case I have about 6k miles mine would look like this:

A) Username: Bardlebee
B) Model: S85
C) Battery Type: C
D) Month-Year Delivery of Vehicle: June-2014
E) MAX Rated Range at Delivery: 265
F) 90% Rated Range at Delivery: 242
G) 6k mileage MAX Rated Range: 263
H) 6k mileage90% Rated Range: 236

Again, the goal of this thread is not to complain/praise your rated range. It is for factual observation, though I am sure there is no limit to the discussion about it here, its probably better in the link provided for Decreasing Rated Range. Below is the Google Document. Please give me suggestions on what good data points we need for this, as maybe 10k is too specific/broad of a mileage counter.

RATED RANGE TRACKER

Last edited:
Ok, I can't modify the google doc but I can submit a post.
A) Username: glhs272
B) Model: S60
C) Battery Type: B
D) Month-Year Delivery of Vehicle: August-2013
E) MAX Rated Range at Delivery: 209
F) 90% Rated Range at Delivery: 185
G) 34k mileage MAX Rated Range: 206
H) 34k mileage90% Rated Range: 183

Do we really need to track E and F?

E) MAX Rated Range at Delivery:
F) 90% Rated Range at Delivery:

Brand new range is going to be very similar and also dependent on what firmware was installed when it was delivered.

I would propose eliminating those, and adding a column for current firmware, as this will change during the life of the document.

I would highly recommend every Model S owner to keep Visible Tesla running 24/7. It logs all data over time and will allow you to graph it and see things like battery degradation very well. Instead of taking one sample point every 10k miles, you get continuous data which makes it so much clearer to see trends and eliminate small variations.