Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching gears by accident while in motion...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - perhaps a silly question, BUT I'm wondering if any one here has experienced switching gears while the car is in motion - and if you can tell me what happened. I've sort of done it but not at driving speed, only while parking the car. The reason I'm asking is that my other car has the windshield wiper control on the right - and if I had a brainfart while driving the Tesla (or wife, who drives the other car more) and clicked the gear into reverse while driving the highway, are we looking at a disaster on our hands? I already know if we pushed and held the Park button thinking it was windshield fluid, we'd come to a dead stop! Thanks.

I already know if we pushed and held the Park button thinking it was windshield fluid, we'd come to a dead stop! Thanks.
Not so fast (literally). While you are correct holding the park button will activate the emergency brake, it's not that strong that you will quickly come to a dead stop. At 60 MPH you will slow down about as much as if you had full regen on. It still takes a while to slow all the way down. If you pressed it by accident at speed the beeping and the surge would alert you rather quickly if you weren't doing it on purpose.

You can hit P at any time. Above 5mph it will act as an E-brake and slow you down (not very quickly), below 5mph it will park and your passengers won't enjoy it.

You can go from D to R at any time with a fully click of the shifter either way, anytime you are at or below 5mph.

If you go from D to N, you will need to press the brake pedal to get back to D. You don't have to stop, just press on the pedal.

You can't go into R with forward speed greater than 5mph.

This is how I've experienced it.

I can verify (multiple instances...I often drive rental cars while traveling for work, then forget what's what when I return) that at 4 1/2 mph throwing it from drive to park when you are expecting instead to spray the windshield is quite jarring and disconcerting, especially to the driver behind you. But hey, Tesla can't be expected to fix my absentmindedness. Though I imagine Elon is working on that as well...

The wiper control stalk is on the opposite side of the gear shifter, but yeah I know what you mean. My prior car was a Honda civic and the wiper control stock for that is in the same place as the gear shifter on the Tesla. Pushing up the stalk on the Honda gave one swipe with the wipers. I have to admit to putting the Tesla into neutral a couple of times when intending to give the wipers a swipe. The good thing is my brain didn't take too long to retrain itself.