Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision avoidance when not using autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I haven't been able to find anything written about whether or not the Model S with the new Autopilot functionality has any sort of collision avoidance capabilities when the autopilot is not engaged.

For argument's sake, assuming it does not, do we think something along these lines might be coming in the future via a software update?

As an example of when something like this might be useful, let's say I'm not using the autopilot on a given trip, and a deer jumps directly into my path. I'm guessing the car's computer's reaction time and braking abilities are going to far exceed mine, and I have no problem ceding control to the car to make the best effort to stop in that situation. Is this possible now, without also allowing the car to steer, etc? And if not, do we think it will be soon?

For argument's sake, assuming it does not, do we think something along these lines might be coming in the future via a software update?
I reject your argument. These features are almost guaranteed to arrive BEFORE "auto-pilot", not after. These are pretty much required for top safety ratings going forward, and are rumoured to be the main reason for the sensor inclusion on the vehicle.

It said that Active Safety was standard on all cars, which presumably includes Collision Avoidance. Since Autopilot is part of the Tech Package and therefore is not standard, the active safety that comes standard on all Model S vehicles should work without Autopilot.

Mercedes has collision avoidance as well, and it works when adaptive CC is not on. Tesla's Autopilot should be no different.

It said that Active Safety was standard on all cars, which presumably includes Collision Avoidance. Since Autopilot is part of the Tech Package and therefore is not standard, the active safety that comes standard on all Model S vehicles should work without Autopilot.

Mercedes has collision avoidance as well, and it works when adaptive CC is not on. Tesla's Autopilot should be no different.

+ 1

Thanks! I'm glad to hear this. I must not have seen or heard what you're referring to with respect to "Active Safety", but it's good to know that we'll have this.