Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4:30 am Deer Strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving my wife to the airport early yesterday morning. Our home is about 30 feet above the main road and deer like to cross there after coming down the slope from our house. I saw the doe jump into the road, hit the brakes, and slowed from 35mph to about 15mph before hitting her flank with the left headlamp assembly. She got up and limped away, possibly with some broken ribs, the legs looked fine.

Pulled over down the road where i could get under a streetlamp and looked at the damage. In that light it looked like it was simply the front bumper, which popped out below the headlight assembly to the front quarter panel. I slipped it back in and kept driving to the airport. Didn't have time to take a close look yesterday but did a bit of an inspection in the garage earlier today and found:
  • Small, 1/4" crack in the nosecone
  • Scratches on the bumper below the headlight assembly and next to the nosecone
  • The corner where the bumper mates with the quarter panel has a hole with a screw, that hole is now a slot
  • Headlight assembly bracket (make of plastic) snapped
  • Lens cover inside headlight dislodged
  • Might be some broken clips where bumper attaches since it sits proud of fog light assembly and has more give than the passenger side
  • Hood sits a bit high at the very front, might be able to adjust
Haven't had the estimate done yet, we'll see if there's anything not visible that's damaged. I only popped off the plastic coverings in the frunk. Anyone know the prices for the headlamp and bumper? Not looking forward to the conversation with the insurance company. Below is the photo of the dislodged lens:
Headlamp lens.JPG

given the price gouging rates that Tesla certified shops are charging, probably totaled. sorry :/

lol seriously though, I think a single headlight kit itself is over $2k. gonna be an expensive repair. sorry bout the misfortune :( good luck with the insurance!

What an unfortunate accident and what a start for the day. It's good to know everyone is ok, the deer hopefully too.

If it's minor damage, you should turn to eBay for parts: 2012 2013 2014 Tesla s LED HID Left Headlight 12 13 14 | eBay

Nosecone: 2012 2014 Tesla Model s Front Bumper Grille Original 4 | eBay

Bumper: Tesla Model s Front Bumper Cover Original Used 12 13 14 2012 2013 2014 8 | eBay

There are plenty more on there too, I've seen bumpers there too and many spare front end parts, I hope it helps.

Keep us updated on the recovery.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying you have actual hard data that shows what Tesla charges for parts vs. what the repairer charges you for the repair? If so that would be interesting to share.

Being Certified is about competence in repair not necessarily cost effectiveness. Tesla's primary goal has to be to ensure that Certified repairers exist in all markets, price efficiency comes with increased popularity driving competition in the repair market.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying you have actual hard data that shows what Tesla charges for parts vs. what the repairer charges you for the repair? If so that would be interesting to share.

Yes we have hard data. There's been numerous if not dozens of detailed (part by part) repair estimates posted to the forums and the amount they charge for the parts and especially for the labor hours is way beyond reasonable. Probably on the order of 3x to 10x higher than compatible vehicles at reputable shops.

When someone scraped and creased my front bumper in the parking lot my repair costs were $850 for a new unpainted front bumper. Total, with labor for repainting was ~2100. Body labor 4.5hrs @ $90/hr. Paint Labor 5.7 @ $90/hr. Paint Supplies 5.7hrs @ $40/hr.

I also had a deer accident. The list of replaced parts and prices:
  • nosecone ($425)
  • front bumper cover (do not have a supplement yet, bumper was to be repaired per the original appraisal, but ultimately was replaced with new one due to broken mounting brackets)
  • Louvers covering one of the radiators (yours are most likely damaged too, check grille openings on both sides - they should be closed by black plastic louvers when car is off, opening as required for heavy cooling road. Mine stayed open on one side) ($147.64)
  • Right Headlamp assembly ($1,200)
  • Lower radiator shroud (duct behind the replaced louvers) ($86.99)
  • hood (do not have a price yet, as original estimate included repair; it was ultimately replaced as it had a 10 inch crease about 2 inches off the front edge)

The total with labor, including re-painting of both front quarter panels, bumper and hood, with the repair of hood and bumper was $5,533.87. I am expecting a supplement that should add replacement of the bumper and hood with new parts in lieu of repair.

John, sorry to hear the run-in with a deer. I had similar type of damage after hitting a large piece of broken truck tire that went air-borne, while going 75 mph on the highway. The damage also required right wheel replacement, and Xpel ultimate paint protection film re-applied to the bumper, which is $1475 extra, so your repairs should be around $3300 + hood repair + tax.. Here is my repair bill.

Good luck. I hope your insurance adjuster knows what he/she is doing on a Tesla, if they are not familiar with the vehicle. It is best to have the adjuster GO TO the Tesla authorized body shop to inspect your car along with the body shop personnel.

Frontenddamage.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, everyone, especially MS60 for the invoice photo. Hopefully it will be a quick fix. The good news is that, with the exception of the headlight beam, no one would even know that it's been damaged without closer inspection. My daughter broke her arm on Sunday with surgery yesterday so haven't called in the claim; that's on the list for today.

Several years ago in NY, I was driving to the airport at 5am, and a deer was on the side of the road. I slowed down to about 10 mph because there was snow on the ground and I wouldn't be able to stop if it ran out in front of the car. Well the deer didn't run out in front of the car it ran into the side of it. I never understood why people said deeds were dumb animals until that happen.