Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know color choice is personal, but it is really hard when all the cars are not available to see in person. I have to confirm by Tuesday and here is where I am at right now in order. 1.Silver with Sunroof 2. White with Sunroof 3. Red with no sunroof. I have had black before and shows dirt. The Blue and Green look black at night in my opinion. Anyone ordered and wish they had a different color?

It's often been said that the Tesla comes in white, silver, black, black, black, black, grey, white, or red.

The green, blue, and brown seem to look amazing in bright light, but in anything less they all look black.

I find it interesting that you would go no sunroof on the red, but sunroof on the silver or white? I find the red looks weird with a red roof, but good with the sunroof (I suppose the black roof would sort of "fake" the sunroof though?) It should also be mentioned that without the sunroof you loose headroom, especially in the back.

I don't own one, and have now only seen a very few in person, there are a lot of really good pictures available if you search the forums though, you should get to see your preferred colour in a variety of lighting situations, and the colour samples in the stores are useful too.

My debate right now is between red or green... I like the red, though it may be a bit too "flashy" I've always driven identifiable, or "different" vehicles, but I've never driven "flashy". I don't really like Black, so the green may be too "black"... it's tough... (I personally find grey/silver/white to be "bland")

Last edited:
The green, blue, and brown seem to look amazing in bright light, but in anything less they all look black.

I think what you say is very true of the blue cars. But very much less so for brown (it always looks brown to me). Green is somewhere in the middle. Even under the grey skies of Western Washington my green looks green.

The side shot in the design studio pictures is overly dark compared to how the paint actually comes out in the case of the green and brown and overly bright in the case of the blue.

It's my understanding that green is the rarest color. Given that the website gives a pretty poor representation of the color I'm not surprised.

Whatever you do I'd suggest that you look at pictures online of actual cars and if you can visit a Tesla store to see actual samples.

As far as the specs discussed here. I really like the Red, but I just find it way too flashy. On the other hand white and silver is pretty common for sedans. I personally prefer to get something a little more unusual and personal.

silver is the ugliest color.
go Red with sunroof.
Ugly is a very personal choice, I don't like the grey myself, but I know many people do. Red is also quite flashy, and some people love that, others not so much.

As far as the specs discussed here. I really like the Red, but I just find it way too flashy. On the other hand white and silver is pretty common for sedans. I personally prefer to get something a little more unusual and personal.
Most common Tesla colour seems to be black (at least in Canada), grey and white are very common for other luxury brands. Red is gorgeous, but flashy... Green or Red are my top picks... but I haven't figured it out yet, and I certainly can't tell anyone else what they want.

Reactions: FutureShock
Red, with sunroof. For me the sunroof is indispensable; love the extra headroom and light, and driving around with it open is as close to a convertible as you can get right now.

Red is a fantastic color, too. It's one of the better reds I've seen, right up with BMW's Imola in hue.

Anyway, that's what I have and I wouldn't change a thing.

Get the Silver. It is very good for not showing dirt. I am getting black but I don't mind the dirt showing.

I know color choice is personal, but it is really hard when all the cars are not available to see in person. I have to confirm by Tuesday and here is where I am at right now in order. 1.Silver with Sunroof 2. White with Sunroof 3. Red with no sunroof. I have had black before and shows dirt. The Blue and Green look black at night in my opinion. Anyone ordered and wish they had a different color?

I know this is personal but go with silver. It is elegant and super easy to keep clean and looking great with minimal maintenance. Silver is also exceptionally great at hiding micro scratches, dirt, and dust.

Silver pairs very well with the pano roof. We ordered our P85D in silver with a tan interior and a pano roof and feel it works very well with the lines of the car.

It's often been said that the Tesla comes in white, silver, black, black, black, black, grey, white, or red.

In the dark, even white looks black. These colors are dark, and as such, look classy. The color is there.

Be thankful that you even have choice! The signatures only had Black, White, Red, and Silver. I paid literally thousands to get an actual color that I liked, after perusing hundreds of paint chips.

I chose Chocolate Brown Pearl, and it's still my most favorite color I've ever seen on a Tesla. But any color is at least not "what everybody else is doing" (why that should decide anyone is beyond me: the average IQ is 100. Who wants to be average?? or Below??). Just because White, Black, Silver and Red comprise 80 - 90% of cars bought only tells me someone doesn't have much imagination.

Go for the color, and admire it in the sunshine. Who cares what it looks like in the dark!?

For such a great looking form with a basic array of colors, this is a surprisingly difficult decision.
I so wanted to like Silver especially when my DS said that of all the combinations he has seen, his favorite is Silver over Black with Grey wheels. It's the easiest color to maintain too. But I just didn't respond to it.
Color is very emotional and at the end of the day, Btrflyl8e has the best advice : go with your gut.

Even in the dark the white looks black, probably not. I guess what you are trying to say is that yours looks Black. I have seen many different cars and colors, had a nice blue Mercedes once. All I am saying is that the Green, Gray, Blue, and Brown, are all so dark, it is hard to distinguish between them in the dark. Yes it is dark part of the 24 hour day ROBLAB. Just trying to get peoples opinion on combinations.

Even in the dark the white looks black, probably not. I guess what you are trying to say is that yours looks Black. I have seen many different cars and colors, had a nice blue Mercedes once. All I am saying is that the Green, Gray, Blue, and Brown, are all so dark, it is hard to distinguish between them in the dark. Yes it is dark part of the 24 hour day ROBLAB. Just trying to get peoples opinion on combinations.

What I was trying to say was that, yes, dark cars look dark, and also classy. Don't know about you, but I paid extra for color, and I love how it looks in the daylight, so I don't care if it looks "black" at night. If a person is sensitive about color, then they should get color, whether or not it is a "dark" color. It is still a color, and the blue, green and brown look fantastic. Not as fantastic as mine, but, whatever. I saw pictures of yellow Tesla taxis in Vienna, and although colorful, they didn't look classy.

The white car comment was just me being silly. If there is no light, everything looks black. Even white. Didn't aim to irritate people, but I know I do it without thinking, sometimes even with thinking.

Go with the color. Enjoy it in the light, use your imagination in the dark.

Dark colors absorb sunlight and heat.

Model S does not have the strongest AC on the market.

White reflect sunlight and heat. And Pearl makes it distinctive from the common white.

Pano roof does add headroom and an airy sunlight. But also heat. And 150 lbs.

Too much sunlight sometimes. Without a standard sunshade. The accessories one is a bit aftermarket cheezy.

What I was trying to say was that, yes, dark cars look dark, and also classy. Don't know about you, but I paid extra for color, and I love how it looks in the daylight, so I don't care if it looks "black" at night. If a person is sensitive about color, then they should get color, whether or not it is a "dark" color. It is still a color, and the blue, green and brown look fantastic. Not as fantastic as mine, but, whatever. I saw pictures of yellow Tesla taxis in Vienna, and although colorful, they didn't look classy.

The white car comment was just me being silly. If there is no light, everything looks black. Even white. Didn't aim to irritate people, but I know I do it without thinking, sometimes even with thinking.

Go with the color. Enjoy it in the light, use your imagination in the dark.
+1
I love that my car (Blue) has effectively two colors. Black can look amazing and when my car looks black I'm not unhappy. When the sun is shining I love the blue color. I think the only issue with the black you noted was that it shows the dirt. I don't really notice this as a problem - perhaps because its blue metallic (not black) or maybe because the wrap helps. Actually it also might be because I wash the car so often.