Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HK Politics and Superciliousness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the USA, you had your cars for years, we only got them recently (sorry for repeating myself, but I am not sure it was read or not)

"Join us if you are upset with the introduction of the D (RHD)"

We are discussing the options here in this thread. It's fine if you like to chip in from outside of the HK market. If you like to tell us what is reasonable to expect, please try to understand what we have been going through, reading posts, watching videos and seeing pictures of the Model S for year, drooling over "when can we get it". Finally it's here, and soon after, it's value is hammered by the -D (especially the P85+)

It is not anything bad about the -D, it's about remembering who were there when all others didn't know or ignored Tesla Motors in Hong Kong.

RHD countries should only blame themselves. Instead of petitioning Tesla Motors, you should petition your government to end this outdated habit and go for LHD, especially in a global economy. The RHD anomaly creates problems for car makers and for clients. And all this for no reason since RHD produces zero advantage whatsoever. It is like using miles instead of kilometers, pounds instead of kilograms. It does not make any sense in the hyper connected world of the 21st century.

Also, you react as if the D model offered much more value for the same price, when in reality it costs more and offers just a little more value to the car...a car that was valued 99% perfect by Consumer Reports : best car ever tested ! The D may be 1% better : 100% in Consumer Reports in 2015 ? And then the model X will get what ? 101% ? Do you realize that you will never be happy if you only want perfection? Perfection is not human. It does not exist in the human world. Only a rare lifeless object like a diamond can be perfect now and forever. Perfection in the consumer world in reality is a moving target since every technological product is continuously improved. So it is an illusion in the present time that you may own a perfect car : the next model will come, from Tesla or Mercedes or Jaguar or Audi or GM, and what will you do ? Suddenly hate your great car better than 99.9% of the cars on the road on this planet ? Feel depressed ? Feel inferior ? Go see a doctor and ask him for pills for your brain to fight depression ? There is simple solution to avoid all those sufferings, all that pointless stress related to your dream of being perfect, of having a perfect life, of owning only perfect objects : the solution is called wisdom. Wisdom comes from not caring about your image. It comes from knowing yourself, facing what is not perfect in you and in the world and accepting it. And setting yourself free from what makes you suffer. I recommend you study the life of the great Greek philosopher Diogenes.

Last but not least, you could be proud of your early purchase of a Tesla and consider yourself a pioneer in the fight against air pollution in Hong-Kong and China. You could add a 2014 logo on the back of your car and drive it for many years, so that people can think when they see you have driven a clean car since 2014 : this man did lead the fight for cleaning our air already in 2014 ! He is a hero ! He is a role-model ! And when you look into the eyes of a child in Hong-Kong, you do not have to feel guilty, unlike people who drive polluting cars, because you know you are not destroying the lungs and health of the children of Hong-Kong. You are instead leading the way to save them. And that is priceless.

Maybe this is just a cultural thing that I will never be able to understand. I honestly don't get the sense of entitlement that so many of the commenters in this thread seem to have. Its almost as if the thinking is that you are owed special consideration and compensation just because you live in HK, and are well-enough off to be able to afford a Tesla.

I don't see what Tesla could have done to avoid this situation where you are so offended. U.S. Signature owners went through the same delivery delays, then finally getting a lower build-quality, initial production vehicle, that was soon eclipsed by later production vehicles in terms of new features.

My non-signature Model S P85 (delivered in May 2013, after I waited six months) is missing many features that were added to later production vehicles, that I wish I had, but I would never expect Tesla to compensate me or even apologize for improving the product. Believe me, both friends and strangers are still quite impressed by my "woefully out of date" P85. I know that I still enjoy my car immensely. Life is too short to always be unhappy about relatively trivial things.

Maybe this is just a cultural thing that I will never be able to understand. I honestly don't get the sense of entitlement that so many of the commenters in this thread seem to have. Its almost as if the thinking is that you are owed special consideration and compensation just because you live in HK, and are well-enough off to be able to afford a Tesla.

I don't see what Tesla could have done to avoid this situation where you are so offended. U.S. Signature owners went through the same delivery delays, then finally getting a lower build-quality, initial production vehicle, that was soon eclipsed by later production vehicles in terms of new features.

My non-signature Model S P85 (delivered in May 2013, after I waited six months) is missing many features that were added to later production vehicles, that I wish I had, but I would never expect Tesla to compensate me or even apologize for improving the product. Believe me, both friends and strangers are still quite impressed by my "woefully out of date" P85. I know that I still enjoy my car immensely. Life is too short to always be unhappy about relatively trivial things.

Do realise we got the Model S about two years later than in the USA?

It seems both sides of this argument totally miss each other.

Post #72 sums it up quite well.

Imagine if you ordered the iPhone 5 when it was announced, but because you live in a remote area, you would have to wait 2 years to get it. By the time it's finally delivered, the iPhone 6 is out, and although you waited 2 years for the phone, the guy who ordered it just last week, get the iPhone 6 instead, while you are forced to take the iPhone 5 (because it has already been produced).

I don't know how it can be so hard to understand.

Yes, you ONLY waited six months, so you ordered November 2012? I ordered my Signature in June 2012 and delivered Aug 2014. If you still don't understand, maybe it's my English's problem...

- - - Updated - - -

RHD countries should only blame themselves. Instead of petitioning Tesla Motors, you should petition your government to end this outdated habit and go for LHD, especially in a global economy. The RHD anomaly creates problems for car makers and for clients. And all this for no reason since RHD produces zero advantage whatsoever. It is like using miles instead of kilometers, pounds instead of kilograms. It does not make any sense in the hyper connected world of the 21st century.

Brilliant idea!! Now I understand why I hate Hong Kong. Ok, I will tell my mom and dad "why u guys ran to Hong Kong (RHD) from China (LHD)? Isn't LHD a better place? Now I'm stuck!

Last edited:
Well, I originally has a lot to say, but now I feel pointless to argue with people from other markets. All I want to say is...we did nothing to harm you guys, what we will get won't make you happier, nor make you sad. So why discourage us when most of us think we are doing the right thing, that is fairer for us?

I also realise many of the pro-TM users on the D issue here, have taken delivery for at least 1, 2 years. I won't expect my first generation Galaxy Note to be up-to-date, right? But what if there are some markets is the other side of the world have ordered the Galaxy Note when they first released but only took delivery until very recently?

My last post on this issue, unless I see some disgrace comments.

By the analogy of RHD vs LHD that we should be the one to blame, any child who born in Africa or third world countries can only blame themselves? Come on people!!

I know we wont change you, but don't try to change us too

The passive aggressivness of the comments from the people in North America is disappointing. Every country has a different psychology and situation. It is easy to criticize others opinions without trying to understand context, and when we descend into criticising a group of buyers because they live in RHD countries it's easy to see who's got the stronger argument.

Great first post.

But: Why do the British drive on the left? | Notes and Queries | guardian.co.uk

Bottom line: It is you LHD countries that changed - the RHD countries stayed the course. And, given all the sword waving going on in these (and other threads on this topic), it seems entirely appropriate.

Quite frankly, given the grief of technical requirements, localisation and legislation that is international homogenization, moving the steering wheel from the left to the right is the least of Tesla's problems.

Last edited:
Ha ha, someone is saving the world by buying a EV. Riding a bike would be super hero. Guy with wisdom.

You are right. Riding a bike in a polluted city is unhealthy, so it really is an heroic way of fighting pollution, verging on masochism. Buying electric cars is the right, healthy first step on the path to living in cities with clean air.

I shall remind whiny clients that Elon Musk builds electric cars for one reason : to fight global warming. So clients who whine because they are not getting the D model (nobody has got it on Earth!) totally miss the point of buying a Tesla. I find that especially pathetic since Hong-Kong is going to suffer from global warming much more than many other places. Read and stop whining about petty things, because soon you are going to suffer from much, much worse than not having the latest car that no one has :
How will Hong Kong be Affected by Climate Change? - Climate Change Business Forum Climate Change Business Forum
http://www.csr-asia.com/report/report_cc_challenges_hk.pdf
http://www.meteorology.org.hk/hkms25/presentation/2.5_LAU_Alexis.pdf

Less drinking water available, more heat waves, catastrophic floods every year (taking months to recover from, more malaria), floods in the Pearl River Delta (70,000 Hong Kong companies have factory plants there), the financial services sector is hugely exposed to climate change because of its links to assets that are put at risk by climate change, brain drain to countries less affected by global warming. Good luck !

Great first post.

But: Why do the British drive on the left? | Notes and Queries | guardian.co.uk

Bottom line: It is you LHD countries that changed - the RHD countries stayed the course. And, given all the sword waving going on in these (and other threads on this topic), it seems entirely appropriate.

Quite frankly, given the grief of technical requirements, localisation and legislation that is international homogenization, moving the steering wheel from the left to the right is the least of Tesla's problems.

Hong Kong owners who ordered P85D this week have been told to expect delivery February 2015. S60D and S85D will come later in the summer/autumn of 2015.

The intent of this thread, by the OP, was to gather like-minded Hong Kong owners in a unified letter to Jerome to try to get a satisfactory outcome for the Hong Kong owners who feel disappointed by these announcements. To be clear, this is a Hong Kong issue, raised in the Hong Kong forums (enough emphasis added?).

Since then, it has gone back-and-forth, with each 'side' trying to persuade the other. Quite frankly, I don't see how that could ever succeed. The viewpoint is just so different between USA LHD and Hong Kong RHD - where the timeline in Hong Kong has been shifted two years (we are today where USA was two years ago - still dealing with the backlog of initial deliveries). The perspective of someone who has had their car for 2 years and seen these updates is just so different from someone who has been waiting for a year and is being asked to take delivery of an already old-specification vehicle. The perspective of someone who paid a premium for the P85+ top-of-the-line performance model, can never be the same as for someone who ordered a S60 on a budget.

In Australia, Tesla have taken the step of re-manufacturing the cars to avoid this issue of delivering old-specification vehicles. For some inexplicable reason they haven't done that (yet) for Hong Kong.

My viewpoint is that I reserved a S85 3 1/2 years ago, and took delivery a couple of months ago. I wouldn't have ordered the D option, even if it was available and certainly not if it meant another year's delay. I did miss out on the driver-assist features, but consider them of little use in Hong Kong and also take to heart the point that early deliveries in USA missed out on parking sensors, folding wing mirrors, and a host of other features and options that later deliveries benefited from. That said, my situation is irrelevant to someone who just took delivery of a P85+ (that just got smoked by the P85D) or hasn't taken delivery yet (and is about to be asked to accept an old-specification vehicle).

I've been following Tesla for six years now, and am unashamedly a fan. I also deeply groan whenever Elon tweets one of these announcements. I just know that there will be a backlash (whatever is announced) and that the regional offices and service centres will be completely unprepared to deal with the response. I find it incredible that, six years on, Tesla are still behaving the same way. It is marketing 101 that it can take years to build the relationship and confidence to make a customer for life, and one simple mistake to lose that same customer. Tesla, please don't stop innovating, but please work out a way you can do it without pissing off your loyal customer base.

Mark.

Great post, Mark.

It seems people are very focused on the mainland China man smashing his windscreen, and think that is what we are all about.

Just like the majority of mainland Chinese people see Hong Kong residents as spoiled brats who only deserve the same as China (rather than China deserving the same as Hong Kong), people outside of the Hong Kong market just think we are spoiled brats making noise - and don't care to read the explanation of the reason behind it, and what actually happened during the last several years.

Thief thinks every man steals.

It's not as you think, and I am sure there will be a good outcome.

Until then, can we please discuss it openly without the constant bashing of repeated comments from people who aren't aware of what happened in the Hong Kong market, even less about what it is we are asking of Tesla Motors?

Hong Kong is not a democracy. You are not used to democratic debate. It was very apparent in some answers in this pseudo-discussion : they would have been impossible for a citizen of a democracy to write, because they are obviously ridiculous, childish. And you never answered precisely all the points we made. This thread is a culture shock, and you have no way of understanding we are more mature than you.

Hong Kong is not a democracy. You are not used to democratic debate. It was very apparent in some answers in this pseudo-discussion : they would have been impossible for a citizen of a democracy to write, because they are obviously ridiculous, childish. And you never answered precisely all the points we made. This thread is a culture shock, and you have no way of understanding we are more mature than you.

I don't think you really understand. Not sure whether it's even worth to reply to this kind of trolling, uninformed accusations.

We are fighting for a democracy, but luckily, we are able to speak freely in Hong Kong. Had you followed recent news from here, you wouldn't have made such a statement.

I have been brought up in a democracy, one of the oldest ones, having only lived in HK for a few years now.

With only 3 posts, you are likely just here to troll, having fun yet?

Can we keep this on topic, please, and without personal insults (against individuals or all citizens of a country).

I can tell you are well educated, and your words make complete sense. You should not buy anything from China as you are supporting communism. Go throw your cellphone away, because it is made in China and it is spying on you. BTW, did you check the parts origin of the model s? Immature man makes imature product. Maybe you should take it apart, just to be safe you know?

Apparently, this post is made by an immature person who considers himself/herself superior than HK people.

Apparently, this post is made by an immature person who considers himself/herself superior than HK people.

The intent was probably just to stir the pot a bit, some people enjoy that with lack of other purpose in life - at least they can annoy others and spark a reaction.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In transactional analysis ( Transactional analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), it is claimed that all people seek some kind of feedback, whether it is good or bad. We need constant affirmation that we exist - even being beaten, yelled at or otherwise treated in a negative way, is better than no reaction at all. This is why some people in violent relationships keep coming back, despite the violence. And why some people tend to spend a lot of time "trolling" forums and social media, just to get the feedback.

So here you have your feedback, Freudianly, whoever you are - are you happy with the reaction you got so far?

We should welcome this most appropriately named member here, I'm getting a lot of entertainment from his 3 posts which said that RHD cars states have only themselves to blame, that people from democratic countries are clearly smarter(!) and that HK is especially doomed because of global warming.

I am awaiting more gems from this well travelled, superior gentleman. Please post more, Monty Python couldn't do better.

(I note he is a bit embarrassed to tell us where he is really from)

Best TED of 2013

China and the End of Meta-Narratives
Eric X. Li: A tale of two political systems - YouTube
This is the best TED Talk 2013
It's a standard assumption in the West: As a society progresses, it eventually becomes a capitalist, multi-party democracy. Right? Eric X. Li, a Chinese investor and political scientist, begs to differ. In this provocative, boundary-pushing talk, he asks his audience to consider that there's more than one way to run a succesful modern nation.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2KfkojTQs
Subtitles

I hope you all watch, if you carefully listen, open mind and your eye, you should be able to see and understand what the world of democracy is happening ! So stop ...........

Last edited:
Interesting position straight from the Party. Unfortunately it doesn't address people's aspirations and social evolution. That's why we see a flood of people trying to move to democratic democracies and why all social advancements come from them.