Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D acceleration modes/setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the D unveil, Elon talked about the P85D having a performance setting of "insane", in addition to normal and sport. That was the first time I heard of any kind of a setting that affects performance other then steering, and there doesn't seem to be any info out there on this yet, other than a tweet from a Motor Trend staffed with what may or may not be an actual screenshot (and it only shows two settings).

Jonny Lieberman on Twitter:

Has anyone heard any more on this, for example about what the setting actually affects in terms of performance? Does it limit acceleration, or maybe just make it less jarring for day to day driving? I'm curious because I'm on the fence between the 85D and P85D, and one of the concerns is that the acceleration on the P is just too much to handle for people not used to performance cars (my wife, others who might drive it occasionally). A setting that tames the car's responsiveness would alleviate this concern, leaving me with no reason to not get the P85D, other than cost, now that it can be had with the 19" wheels.

ChuckP85D yeah yeah, I know. but I'd still feel better about someone used to a Prius at the wheel of a 700HP monster for the first time, knowing the monster had adjustable personalities. but mostly I'm just curious about this new setting, what it actually controls, and whether it's going to be on all the models vs just the P85D.

I'm curious what it actually does. Do the lesser modes actually limit maximum thrust? Or just smooth the throttle response? Have more aggressive traction control?

If I floor it, I should get maximum acceleration no matter what mode I'm in, IMO.

A setting that tames the car's responsiveness would alleviate this concern, leaving me with no reason to not get the P85D, other than cost, now that it can be had with the 19" wheels.

From what Elon said at the unveiling there WILL be a setting... the highest setting will be labeled 'insane'; his words :biggrin:

I'm kinda surprised that isn't already standard... you'd think they could have a login with a slider for what you want the MAX KW output of the motor to be.

Last edited:
The reviews will be incredible when the actual 0-60 numbers and 1/4 mile times are proven in real life cars of the owners to the masses. The industry will be scrambling to try and find a way to compete even more with TESLA.
kudos job well done

The reviews will be incredible when the actual 0-60 numbers and 1/4 mile times are proven in real life cars of the owners to the masses. The industry will be scrambling to try and find a way to compete even more with TESLA.
kudos job well done
I just really enjoy the response to the tweet:
Eric Bart ‏@Eric_Bart Oct 24

@mt_loverman Such an opportunity lost not calling it Ludicrous Speed. #spaceballs #surroundedby*******s

I'm curious what it actually does. Do the lesser modes actually limit maximum thrust? Or just smooth the throttle response? Have more aggressive traction control?

If I floor it, I should get maximum acceleration no matter what mode I'm in, IMO.

I obviously don't know how it will work with the P85D, but on the Roadster Sport, I find myself using Range mode while driving around as a way of limiting the power. For regular driving, I still have plenty of acceleration (by plenty, I mean that I've never been out-accelerated away from a light, even when I'm not trying). I find that the overall driving experience is smoother. I think what happens is that the accelerator total travel range is recalibrated to the new power range, so you get bigger movements of the pedal for equivalent power, with a stop. Not that it's ever twitchy, but you use slightly bigger motions on the pedal to make things happen.

I can see what the OP is looking for, though whether it's presence or absence would cast a swing vote in a P85D decision for me (nah!)... Tesla's been good about making the lower end of the accelerator range quite tame and controllable on all of their cars I've driven (Roadster, P85, P85+); I expect no difference for P85D.

I've sent the suggestion to Tesla that there be an option (passworded or otherwise) to limit the maximum kW output to a custom value. I think this would be awesome for long trips where range is at a premium and limiting power draw to 1C/85kW/~115HP or less would be worthwhile. It would also be good for valet and new driver situations.

It also seems like this would be pretty trivial to add to the settings, also, but I could be wrong.

.. and valet mode.

Agreed. I would very much like to detune the car dramatically so idiots parking my car can't do something stupid with it. The other thing I would really like is a speed limiter so that I can only go so fast when I want. I haven't had a ticket in 11 years and just got one. Completely my own fault. It's too hard to resist that lovely, silky smooth speed. It's like an addiction!

Reactions: S-2000 Roadster