Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow High Beams / Phone controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, I've discovered two things about my Model S that make me wonder.

The first one is the way the high beams have a noticeable lag when turned off. You flip the switch down, they turn on instantly. You pull it back up, there's a delay of up to half a second, then they turn off. The delay is variable in length, too. So I am driving on a curvy road at night, for example, at night, with high beams, and another car comes around a turn. I quickly pull on the stalk, but the high beams stay on, and continue to blind the other driver for about half a second.
Likewise, I can't 'flash' the high beams, but rather 'turn them on an off for a short but unpredictable amount of time'
Does everyone have that 'feature'? I'll talk to the Service Center when I'm next there, but it's quite frustrating.

Another thing that puzzles me is my apparent inability to answer the phone/hang up using the controls on the steering wheel. Is that even possible? When a call comes in, it pops up on the main screen, but not on the side panels of the dashboard. And no manipulation that I could find brings up a menu that would say 'answer the call'. Similarly, I haven't found a way to hang up without having to switch half of the main screen to phone and pressing a button there. Am I missing something?

I rented a 2014 S85 this week (3,000km) and when connected with my iPhone 6 running IOS 8.0.2 I had the same issues with the steering wheel phone controls not working. I would make a call using the Speech button and pressing the associated number on the 17 inch display but when trying to hang up using the steering wheel control and small menu it would allow me to click "disconnect/Hangup" but the call would still be connected. I too had to use the main screen to find the Hangup button or grab my phone.

What software version are you running? Click the "T" at the top of the main screen. You might also try rebooting both screens. For one of them you hold both steering wheel scroll wheels down until the screen goes dark. And for the other one (IIRC) you push and hold both of the top steering wheel buttons until the screen goes dark. Car can keep driving during this reboot. If it persists you can try doing a hard reboot of the car. It involves pulling a couple fuses under the frunk:
Open the frunk and remove the middle plastic cover (the one below the windshield). You will see 2 fuse boxes. Open the left one (your left as you're looking to the rear of the car). You will see 2 yellow 20A fuses - 1 to the right (in the middle I believe) and the other 1 row to the left from the first. They are the only 2 yellow 20A fuses in the box. Remove both of these fuses, wait 30 seconds, re-insert them. Car will now boot up.

Just as a confirmation, our Model S has always had this lag. Drives me batty.

As I understand, the headlights switch from high to low by using physical louvers, like venetian blinds, that flap open for high beams, and flap down for low beam. Understandably, this takes more time than an electrical switch, as you are using solenoids. If you listen when you switch, you can hear them flipping.

My only problem, if it can be called so, is when I see a Tesla coming down the road and I want to flash my high beams. I found you have to HOLD the high beam lever long enough for it to flip the louvers and then turn on the HIDs, otherwise, the oncoming driver sees -- nothing.

Of course, it can still drive you batty, but you can at least understand where the bats live.

As I understand, the headlights switch from high to low by using physical louvers, like venetian blinds, that flap open for high beams, and flap down for low beam. Understandably, this takes more time than an electrical switch, as you are using solenoids. If you listen when you switch, you can hear them flipping.

My only problem, if it can be called so, is when I see a Tesla coming down the road and I want to flash my high beams. I found you have to HOLD the high beam lever long enough for it to flip the louvers and then turn on the HIDs, otherwise, the oncoming driver sees -- nothing.

Of course, it can still drive you batty, but you can at least understand where the bats live.

Um, no. This is totally wrong, sorry. You get an A for creativity, though! :)

I used to experience about a 0.5 second lag when flashing my high beams under much older software, but since 5.8 or 5.9 the small lag has disappeared. That or I just got used to it.

I think what you are hearing is the light assembly tilting up and down. If you short the high beam relay in the frunk you can see it tilt up and down. Discovered this when I was trying to bypass the fog lights going off with the high beams.

After looking online into how bi-xenons work, it does seem that some mechanical pivoting is used... I want LEDs, none of that mechanical nonsense! :cursing: