Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transponder. Cool idea or silly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I passed another Model S today.

Wowowohoooooo! (Like it's never happened before!)

Driver was trying to communicate with me with an open window ... no way given the moving traffic ... then it dawned on me ... as it has several times before ...

There are two (or more) types of Tesla drivers ... one who just drives ... and those who want to meet and socialize with like minded drivers ... he and I fell seem to fall into the latter category.

So ... I suggest a transponder ...

Options: turn on / turn off.

Distance?: transmit transponder 1/5/25 miles?

Text: Provide text with as much information or as little about you as you want. Limit 128 chars.

Provide "radar" on screen (aka map*) showing nearby Model S/X/3/Roadster with x miles of you that have transponders on.

Message in transponder can be as little as email address, cell phone, etc. If "recipient" feels transponder "ping" contains "offensive" information ... "click here to report abuse". Etc.

I would love that feature.

You could "ping" the other car ... suggest quick meeting at "location x" 1/4 mile ahead, etc.

Have I lost it ... or is this a cool idea?

* speaking of map ... why had Google never teamed up with a weather source and had weather overlays? Oh, and then added it to our maps?

Both, actually. As in, both cool and silly :smile:
Certainly beats just waving at the other Tesla drivers.

But as the number of Teslas on the road increases with time, the whole concept will become a nuisance. Even now in some areas, such as Silicon Valley or Seattle Eastside, the concentration of Model S is high enough to meet quite a few of them daily. They simply become 'just another car' then.

EDIT: Also, aren't there smartphone apps to do just that? Waze does something similar, I know.