Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

broken clips when removing interior panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, I see many of you did modification to your car, such as car camera, upgrade sound...etc. All those work require remove of the interior panels which held by those blue clips.

Recently, I installed a subwoofer and added 2 speakers to the lift gate. During the installation, I would say 80% of the blue clips were damaged when I remove the panels.

Do you guys have this problem? Do you go buy new ones from the service center? Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Guys, I see many of you did modification to your car, such as car camera, upgrade sound...etc. All those work require remove of the interior panels which held by those blue clips.

Recently, I installed a subwoofer and added 2 speakers to the lift gate. During the installation, I would say 80% of the blue clips were damaged when I remove the panels.

Do you guys have this problem? Do you go buy new ones from the service center? Am I doing something wrong?

You need a box of Auveco retainer clips, part number 20633 (these are listed for Toyota but work perfectly on the Model S for the lift gate trim and a variety of other applications).

You need a box of Auveco retainer clips, part number 20633 (these are listed for Toyota but work perfectly on the Model S for the lift gate trim and a variety of other applications).

Great link Rick....we have a healthy stock of clips, of all sorts for the MS, that we've purchased from Tesla. Nice to see this site for future reference.

Breaking the clips sometimes goes with the territory depending on which ones. Nice thing is, they can be replaced easily. Just be careful not to break the slot it goes into or rub your tool against the metal/plastic surface they pop into. That's why we always use plastic tools

• Informative
Reactions: Reefdiver
Aetsci, how about the blue chips that holds the door sill panels? I broke some of those too.

JohnQ, as for my lift gate speakers, I haven't finish the installation, hopefully will be done today and I can start to tune the sound and start a new topic.

Aetsci, how about the blue chips that holds the door sill panels? I broke some of those too.

JohnQ, as for my lift gate speakers, I haven't finish the installation, hopefully will be done today and I can start to tune the sound and start a new topic.

The Auveco ones will work there too. I know -- I've used them many times:)

- - - Updated - - -

Great link Rick....we have a healthy stock of clips, of all sorts for the MS, that we've purchased from Tesla. Nice to see this site for future reference.

Breaking the clips sometimes goes with the territory depending on which ones. Nice thing is, they can be replaced easily. Just be careful not to break the slot it goes into or rub your tool against the metal/plastic surface they pop into. That's why we always use plastic tools

I bought from Tesla a few months ago a complete set of clips for the entire car ... just in case. A number have rubber washers on the base, probably to prevent rattles and other annoying small noises.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I got the Toyota clips from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CTTH4/

I downloaded the spec sheet and compared the different types and sizes. These ones fit perfectly, and match the Auveco ones that artsci listed.

314ijBMtyFL.jpg

I need both the clips in this picture. Can folks confirm that the blue clip is the same as the Toyota part mentioned previously (Amazon.com: 25 Toyota Trim Panel Retainer Clips 90467-10188 Sienna: Automotive)? I notice that none of the referenced sites / parts have the foam gasket like this one does. Assuming the parts are the same, I should be able to move the gasket to the new clips when present as I haven't lost any of the blue ones, I've just broken them. Are there other options / considerations for the gasket? Also, I need the metal clip as well as a few have pulled off when removing the panels and either have disappeared or are bent out of shape enough that they won't work properly any more. Does anybody have a source for those metal clips?

fullsizeoutput_739b.jpeg

Last edited: