Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad replacement wiper blades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
I have had my wiper blades replaced in the first yearly service, and found that the new blades were leaving a wide streak in the middle of driver's side blade. I asked the service center, and they replaced blades with another set, but the problem remained. It seems that the new long blade doesn't curve enough to provide even pressure, and the middle of the blade actually gets too much pressure. The new wipers also click louder when reversing direction.

I'm having the exact same problem. The service center replaced the blade and after that didn't fix it, they replaced the whole arm. That still didn't fix it when I got the car back so I took it back and they did something with the angle of the blade that seems to have improved it a bit, but now it seems like it's doing it again a week later. I've also noticed that during heavier rain, the bottom of the driver side blade skips instead of gliding smoothly.

All this started after my annual service in August. I wonder if they changed to a new supplier of wiper blades.

I've been thinking of just going out and buying some higher quality aftermarket blades to see if that helps.

Others have commented that adding a repellent coating to the windshield actually causes wiper problems.
Depends on the coating. I've had no problems with the Chemical Guys window cleaner (which contrary to popular belief appears to work just like the coatings). No problem with the replacement wipers either.

In my experience this is usually caused by contamination/dirt on the windshield. Trying cleaning both the windshield and the wiper blade real well and see if this stops the chattering/skipping.

This was with a brand new wiper blade (had just taken the car in for 1 year service) and the car was clean (again because they cleaned it at the 1 year service).

If caused by deposits on the glass, a regular washing of the car will not remove them. It takes some force/effort to get the glass clean. I've used solvents to get it off (tar remover). If you rub the dry glass with a paper towel or microfiber cloth, you can usually feel it.

If caused by deposits on the glass, a regular washing of the car will not remove them. It takes some force/effort to get the glass clean. I've used solvents to get it off (tar remover). If you rub the dry glass with a paper towel or microfiber cloth, you can usually feel it.

I'll certainly give it a shot, but it's unusual that the same problem happened to me and the OP after the 1 year service.

This was with a brand new wiper blade (had just taken the car in for 1 year service) and the car was clean (again because they cleaned it at the 1 year service).

I have the same problem with brand new drivers side blade.

It wipes ok going upwards but the down stoke leaves a blur streak, have pulled over to clean off the blade quite a few times but it does nothing
+ the wiper sensitivity just plain sucks for water, what is it trying to measure?

I had annual service done about a month ago. I'm assuming they replaced my wiper blade, but I experience none of these issues. The windshield is streak free. The wiper does pull a smattering of water back onto the driver's side on the downstroke, since water pools up on the left side which is then pulled back onto the windshield a little bit on the downstroke. But no streak.