Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas about what's under wraps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,
I was at the factory earlier this week.
First of all no sign of Model X or even the P85D on the production line.
But I went out back to look at some cars there for delivery to see the color combinations.
There were a bunch of cars with covers on them.
Some are obviously Model S.
But have a look, there is one much shorter and taller with Model S wheels on it.
It looks shorter than an S or X.
Maybe some sort of test mule?
You can see some others that I can't recognize as well.
Let the speculations begin!
Under wraps.jpg

Last edited:
When I was there in July I drove over to the fenced off area by the Service center and saw a B-Class test mule, Rav 4, and the Model S with rectangular box on the roof that we have seen in Hawthorne pictures. Perhaps some of those cars.

That looks like a model X with a roof rack, no rear door and no mirrors!

The 'minivan' shape toward the fence reminds me of the silhouette for the Toyota Previa, which was replaced by the Sienna. I agree that the vehicle in the center, with exposed red bodywork, appears to be a Model X with a roof rack of some sort... But I think it is actually something else. Remember the rear door of the Model X goes all the way to the wheel-well. This has a shorter rear door. Perhaps it is an early version of the Model ☰X Crossover? Good pics!

Ha! that's what I was thinking too. I totally would've scooted over there to take a peek.

It did occur to me but actually a Tesla employee approached me and asked what I was doing, I said I had just been on a tour and had a new Model S on order but wanted to look at the black headliner. He asked how long I would be and I said just a few minutes.
The picture I took as you can see, was after I was back in my rental car.

Looks like the red car is a Model S (with some roof rack) to me. It appears the rear door is not present, and that the frunk might be popped to me.

The car in the back looks like a MB B-Class.

Whatever is in the black car cover behind the red car is what looks most interesting to me.

I'd say the one in the back is an MB B-Class. I'm pretty familiar with the general shape as I used to own one. The one in foreground is an X. Close up of the front grill shows the lower upturned chrome surround of the X and it looks like the rear doors are opened or removed as I can see the open door sill.