Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ticking" issues on new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just visited the Tesla Service center (Oct 22, 2014) addressing a ticking issue in my car. When I arrived, service advisor knew exactly what the problem was and told me that "all" new cars have the same issue and as of now there is no known fix. I just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else has addressed this issue on their recent delivery and if there's a name for this problem. Also if Tesla has made any official statements regarding this. I picked up my car on Sept 30th 2014.

In the video, you can start to hear the "ticking" at 25mph @ 19 sec into the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
the sound is at 19 sec, again at 23, and again at 27. It's very subtle that you can only hear it between 25-45mph on smooth roads. Even smooth highways at 60 drone out the ticking sound. It's coming from the right above the break, inside the lower speedometer. Sounds similar to a computer HD needle ticking.

I have the new HW for the autopilot, and the service advisor said it's something with the new breaking system.

i don't hear it either.

I too have the ticking sound, and can clearly hear it in your video, perhaps because my ears are attuned to it. It is very subtle, but quite distinctive because of the relative silence in the car.

I also asked about it at the SC, and had them look into it while taking care of a few other issues. I was also told that the noise is normal, and only occurs with the new braking system delivered with the new "Autopilot" hardware. I was told its source is a periodic electrical signal sent by the brake controller to the brakes to ensure they are still ready to receive input from the brake pedal.

I expect that I will eventually become accustomed to it, or will simply turn on the radio to drown it out.

I wanted to start a new thread in hopes of keeping track of other people with the same issue. Sorry for the redundancy.

You started another thread about this same subject on 10/2, why not just update that thread instead of starting a new one?

I also don't hear anything in the video, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

I just dont think that Tesla gave an acceptable answer. There was no follow up email after the visit noting that they will try to take care of the issue. They pretty much made me feel like, "well, it's a problem...oh well" attitude. I dont think it's an acceptable assumption that people will become accustomed to it or expect people to turn on the radio to drown it out. I just wanted to know if there are other people out there that has experienced a similar response from their service advisor regarding the same issue.

I too have the ticking sound, and can clearly hear it in your video, perhaps because my ears are attuned to it. It is very subtle, but quite distinctive because of the relative silence in the car.

I also asked about it at the SC, and had them look into it while taking care of a few other issues. I was also told that the noise is normal, and only occurs with the new braking system delivered with the new "Autopilot" hardware. I was told its source is a periodic electrical signal sent by the brake controller to the brakes to ensure they are still ready to receive input from the brake pedal.

I expect that I will eventually become accustomed to it, or will simply turn on the radio to drown it out.

I just dont think that Tesla gave an acceptable answer. There was no follow up email after the visit noting that they will try to take care of the issue.

Per your own post: When I arrived, service advisor knew exactly what the problem was and told me that "all" new cars have the same issue and as of now there is no known fix.

So, the ticking has been acknowledged. And you were told there is currently no known fix. What is unacceptable about that? Do you think it's possible that some engineer/s have been made aware of the ticking and are looking into a solution and that when they discover one it'll be implemented. Did you ask the service manager to let you know if he hears of a solution coming down the pipe.

Well, it was good that he knew the exact issue. What I meant by an unacceptable answer refers more to how no one followed up with any information saying they'll inform me as soon as they find a solution. Sorry for the poor wording. I did ask about any information, he just shrugged his shoulders and casually said "sorry, we dont know"

Per your own post: When I arrived, service advisor knew exactly what the problem was and told me that "all" new cars have the same issue and as of now there is no known fix.

So, the ticking has been acknowledged. And you were told there is currently no known fix. What is unacceptable about that? Do you think it's possible that some engineer/s have been made aware of the ticking and are looking into a solution and that when they discover one it'll be implemented. Did you ask the service manager to let you know if he hears of a solution coming down the pipe.

Is it the sound like a camera shutter clicking? I think I hear it. My car is a year old and doesn't have this which makes sense if its related to the new hardware for autopilot (intense buyer's remorse inserted here - wish I'd waited a year).

My car has developed a different annoying sound though - its a high pitched chirping like metal on metal. I have an appointment in 2 weeks for them to check on it (when I called the Houston service center did not have an available time for me for 4 weeks - must have a lot of Teslas with problems in Houston).

btw, sorry about the Tesla defenders you're running into. There are a lot of them on this forum. Some people just don't understand the concept of sharing issues and experiences, and think every post with a negative comment must be re-buffed.

I hear the camera shutter click sound around 17 seconds, but I don't think that's the sound the OP is talking about. At 19, I think I hear something that sounds like the second hand on a clock ticking. It's much higher pitched than then camera shutter sound around 17. It's very subtle in the video because it's drowned out by the road noise. I'm sure it sounds louder in the car than it does in this video.

I did ask about any information, he just shrugged his shoulders and casually said "sorry, we dont know"

Ah, okay. So you're next step might be to insist they record your name and contact information, and your wishes to be contacted when they know something. With a smile on your face, you could then let the person know that you'll be making a general nuisance of yourself by contacting them regularly if you don't hear from them in a reasonable amount of time, even if that is just to tell you they have not heard of a remedy yet. If you find this person continues to show a disinterest, then feel free to ask them if their direct supervisor might have an answer for you.

If you aren't satisfied with the answer or how it's delivered, speak up. People sometimes don't know they've upset you or come across in a particular way, and they can't learn to be better or do better if you don't let them know. :wink:

We have a September build car and have a similar sound, if we're talking about the same thing. For us, it's an intermittent "buzz" or "pop" sound at about 2 Hz (2 per second), which sounds like it's coming from the left front A-pillar speaker.

Ours won't do it unless the car's been driven for about 30 minutes, and even then it's hit or miss....

Muting the radio has no impact.

Lastly, I believe we have the regular/vacuum assist brakes, not the new electro-hydraulic brakes.

Likewise, the DFW Service Center is massively backed up. Tesla is growing far too fast for their infrastructure footprint and it's making a not-so-good impression on customers. I wonder if Elon's aware of this?

The sound can be heard after 25mph. Also, you can replicate the sound at a standstill. Just release your break slowly (if you dont have creep it might be easier) and you can hear the clicking. I can also make a video later.

I have a new car with the new braking system and about 33,000 Model S miles under my belt. I haven't heard any ticking but will pay close attention the next few days and see if I hear it.

- - - Updated - - -

No worries, thanks for the support. I can understand if it may come off as offensive. To each his/her own.

btw, sorry about the Tesla defenders you're running into. There are a lot of them on this forum. Some people just don't understand the concept of sharing issues and experiences, and think every post with a negative comment must be re-buffed.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice. I'm a pretty mild tempered person so I guess I didn't express myself accurately. I've gone ahead and already proactively scheduled another visit on Nov 17th just in case they have a solution by then. I only started this thread after a few back and fourths between the service advisor after ignoring my questions.

Ah, okay. So you're next step might be to insist they record your name and contact information, and your wishes to be contacted when they know something. With a smile on your face, you could then let the person know that you'll be making a general nuisance of yourself by contacting them regularly if you don't hear from them in a reasonable amount of time, even if that is just to tell you they have not heard of a remedy yet. If you find this person continues to show a disinterest, then feel free to ask them if their direct supervisor might have an answer for you.

If you aren't satisfied with the answer or how it's delivered, speak up. People sometimes don't know they've upset you or come across in a particular way, and they can't learn to be better or do better if you don't let them know. :wink:

You shouldn't take things too personally around here. This is SOP for Tesla. They know it's a problem and they're working on it. They will do their best to fix it but it will be when they have time and energy to do so. It's like the "balloon squeal" some cars had that turned out to be a connector vibrating under heavy load. Tesla figured it out and fixed it but it took almost 2 years IIRC.

They don't do touchy-feely customer service. I would just stay current on this forum and someone will learn when it's fixed and post here. If it really bothers you then I'm sure there are plenty of folks that will trade you for a regular vacuum-brake Model S.