Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in existing Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla Motors don't take trade-ins, what are people doing with existing cars that they/I would normally trade-in as part of the sale ? Tim (of Tesla) mentioned that Stratton Finance have a trade-in service, has any one had experience with using them ? Obviously private sale is an option but I'm not that keen on it for a $100k car.

As Tesla Motors don't take trade-ins, what are people doing with existing cars that they/I would normally trade-in as part of the sale ? Tim (of Tesla) mentioned that Stratton Finance have a trade-in service, has any one had experience with using them ? Obviously private sale is an option but I'm not that keen on it for a $100k car.
My Liberty wagon is ready for the scrap heap! If we are lucky it'll last until the Tesla arrives. We'll probably put it in the shed in our country place and take one ICE car out of circulation.

I believe that there is a section on carsales or similar where you can put a car up for trade users to bid on? I also tried selling a previous car (unsuccessfully) via a consignment process where the dealer puts your car on their lot and you only pay a nominal fee for washing and looking after the car until they sell it when they take a cut.

Previously I have had a reasonable offer by going back to the dealer where I had bought the car and serviced it (as a straight out purchase, not a trade in on a new vehicle I was buying through them) It obviously was less than I might have got via a private sale but I wanted a no risk outcome.

Previously I have had a reasonable offer by going back to the dealer where I had bought the car and serviced it (as a straight out purchase, not a trade in on a new vehicle I was buying through them) It obviously was less than I might have got via a private sale but I wanted a no risk outcome.

Thanks TesAus, I've done that once before and will give that a crack as well. I did get a ballpark from the dealer back in May (when I thought the Tesla would be here in a month or two, ha) and it was a bit scary (low). However with a more confident December ish delivery time I think I better jump on it so my current car does tick over another year (and ride a scooter/skateboard/bus/bike to work until the Tes turns up).

I generally sell privately - I've even been upset with mates who trade their car in without offering me first option! The price that a dealer will offer you as a trade-in is appallingly low. That being said, if you don't have secure parking then don't meet the prospective buyer at your house. Meet them at a local service station or similar place with plenty of light. If they can't arrange a suitable time window to meet then they are not a serious buyer.

A mate of mine traded a 3 year old BMW 525 a few years ago. The market value was around $50k at the time. He traded it for $32k.... I'd have been happy to take the car from him for $32k and sell it privately for $45k making $10-12k in the process... from memory the dealer advertised his car for close to $60k.

Don't forget that the dealer has to provide a warranty, carry the cost of money, cover their overheads, pay a sales rep commission and make a profit. If they don't have a second hand division then they will flip the car to a wholesaler - who will add his own margin and sell it as stock to another dealer. When I bought my last *new* car, I was offered the usual low ball price for my Celica GT-Four - about $10k under private sale value. He also wanted access to the car immediately so that he could move it on and offered a loan car for the 2 weeks before mine was ready. I politely declined and ended up keeping the GT-Four myself and my girlfriend and selling her car instead - privately, to a mate.