Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster for rent in SF Bay Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of any Roadster for rent in the SF Bay Area? There used to be one available thru getaround.com, but this one seems to be no longer available.
I am contemplating to purchase one to accompany our fabulous S85, but I'm having mixed feelings about how suitable a Roadster would be as daily driver. Thus need to get some time behind the wheel.

TIA!

I live near you and have had my Roadster for just over two weeks now. I work at multiple hospitals in the Bay Area from Marin to Fremont to Santa Clara and in SF. The Roadster is a fantastically fun car for my work commutes. Yes you need to drive defensively because the car is low and small and not as visible as most vehicles (I suggest a light/bright paint color). I think aftermarket wide angle side mirrors are essential and upgrading the low beams to Xenons is important, but both of those mods are inexpensive (described in other threads here).

Now I get the pleasure of driving a Roadster and my spouse has her Model S back! :)

My Roadster is my daily commuter and I wouldn't want any other car. My commute is 50% through turns/hills and 50% straits on the highway. Essential upgrades would be starting with priority:

1) Brakes - Upgrade to CarboTech
2) HID lights - The halogens are dangerous and you can't see a thing
3) Suspension - Upgrade to the Nitron adjustable if you don't have the sport Tesla upgrade with the adjustable Bilstein shocks. The stock suspension is dangerous as well.

Yes, the mirrors can be an issue, blindspot. I put a convex mirror on the inside to fix that for drivers/passenger sides.

Its the ultimate commuting vehicle since its a 2 seater and small, so its nimble getting through traffic. I drive aggressive, use my horn where I should, and turn on my lights when entering a dangerous area of traffic. I haven't had an issue with anyone not seeing me.

The Roadster is a fantastically fun car for my work commutes.

My Roadster is my daily commuter and I wouldn't want any other car....Its the ultimate commuting vehicle...

Thanks @ecarfan and @wiztecy for your perspectives. It clearly sounds like you do enjoy your Roadsters as daily drivers. Frankly, my major concern is how much of a nuisance it is to get in and out of the vehicle frequently - not for your lazy Sunday morning cruise on Skyline Blvd or down on Hwy 1, but for your daily commute when time is of the essence and you're already late for your first meeting. You know what I mean?

Thanks @ecarfan and @wiztecy for your perspectives. It clearly sounds like you do enjoy your Roadsters as daily drivers. Frankly, my major concern is how much of a nuisance it is to get in and out of the vehicle frequently - not for your lazy Sunday morning cruise on Skyline Blvd or down on Hwy 1, but for your daily commute when time is of the essence and you're already late for your first meeting. You know what I mean?

I seem to remember that my Roadster was difficult to pop out of when I first got it... but now, it's no big deal. You just use new muscles because it's low, but after a short while (at least for me) it feels as easy as getting in and out of any vehicle.

I daily drive my Roadster and have logged over 20,000mi this past year alone. Your body gets trained to the point where getting in is effortless... That being said, I find it very funny that I always have a hard time getting in and out of the passenger seat because my body is trained to enter the other side :)

Exiting the Roadster certainly takes a level of flexibility that not everyone may possess or simply wish to exercise. The taller you are the more difficult it is, I suspect. I'm 6'2" but have a low BMI and good strength for my age so I'm okay with it. I have heard that some Roadsters were sold because owners became unable to execute the moves necessary to get out of the car! I think most people can manage it but I know some people who would not be able to do it.

I'm 6'2" and I feel like I'm just at the height limit for a Roadster. Any taller would be pushing it. You won't have an issue with the soft top off, but if you get a hard top I'd recommend the transparent Visium for extra headroom and visibility. Ducking down to see stop lights is a pain with the regular hard top.

I won't be able to open the door completely when the car is parked in my garage, so that'll make it even more challenging I guess...

We'd like a video of that.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

It would be easier for you to exit/enter in tight spaces with the top off the Roadster (I typically remove the top for friends who are more challenged). And in true forum tradition of 'never a topic that hasn't been discussed', I found the original Roadster thread that discusses removing/replacing the top while seated inside the Roadster (complete with video).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5543-Going-Topless

OK, so this thread can be closed for good now. I can officially report that a Roadster is not for me. I was getting some minor things done on my S85 at the Palo Alto Service center today, so I asked if I could get behind the wheel of a Roadster to get a better feel for it. They said sure, no problem, and let me get behind the wheel of their last remaining loaner. Chances are my legs are over proportionally long (I am 6'4") - my knees were literally left and right of the steering wheel. No way this would gonna work comfortably. #firstworldproblem #byebyeroadster