Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There's no replacement for displacement...oh, really

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that car will probably blow by the P85D like a jet airplane after 65-70MPH (maybe even sooner) and run a 7-8 second quarter mile at close to or above 200MPH, I beg to differ.
And yet from a stop light the Tesla would be able to get in front and take the lane before he even knew what happened.... it's not all about the drag strip. I don't care what the car does once it gets past 10% over the speed limit, because I'm never going to get there to find out.

And yet from a stop light the Tesla would be able to get in front and take the lane before he even knew what happened.... it's not all about the drag strip. I don't care what the car does once it gets past 10% over the speed limit, because I'm never going to get there to find out.

Absolutely. I'll win the stop light drag race everytime. The other guys can win the ticket anytime they want.

a street bike, a GTR, a shifter kart, a Porsche 911 turbo S, a supercharged SRT Jeep, etc will all hang or beat a P85D off the line when driven correctly.

im not seeing your point and how this meme of "no replacement for displacement" makes sense. Clearly high displacement ICE vehicles are still the fastest and most powerful vehicles on the planet.

lets all just come to one big happy agreement and realize the Model S is a great car, the P85D will be quick for a 0-60 run, but in no way shape or form is it a sports car with exceptional handling or could beat any high horsepower cars for more than a few seconds off a stop light. Real motor sports enthusiasts know this and if gauging the performance car on several metrics the P85 and P85D only beats (some) true sports cars and sports sedans in one performance category- 0-60 times.

Let's stop the comparisons already.. It's apples to oranges people

Tesla Model S P85 vs high end sports cars and sedans

0-60 Times: Win (except GTR, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Corvette GTR, etc etc)
0-100 Times: LOSE
20-100 Times: LOSE
Braking distance, 60-0: LOSE
1/4 Mile Times: LOSE
1/4 Trap Speeds: LOSE
Slalom: LOSE
Skidpad: LOSE
Track Times: LOSE

so... Since when are performance cars gauged solely on 0-60 times?

im a P85 owner but also the owner of many other sports cars, sedans, and off-roading vehicles presently and in the past.

the Model S is one of the greatest cars I've owned and driven

but it simply is NOT the performance car and speed demon people think it is. It's as if the model S is your first decently fast car, and have no experience with real sports cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. I'll win the stop light drag race everytime. The other guys can win the ticket anytime they want.

Not getting a speeding ticket is how people compare the performance of a Tesla vs the most powerful cars on the road?

guess we should all drive a Prius then right, less chance of a speeding ticket?

Last edited:
I don't see a reason for getting worked up about the comparison. It's a meme and not meant to be an absolute truth. Of course you can design an ICE quicker than it but does it seat 5 people and get 90mpge when driving normally? Yes the comparison isn't practical but the fact that people are comparing a large sedan and a GTR says a lot.

I don't see a reason for getting worked up about the comparison. It's a meme and not meant to be an absolute truth. Of course you can design an ICE quicker than it but does it seat 5 people and get 90mpge when driving normally? Yes the comparison isn't practical but the fact that people are comparing a large sedan and a GTR says a lot.

How does the OP's meme of joking about "no replacement for displacement" have anything to do with how many passengers fit in the vehicle?

Yes the car (P85D) is quick from 0-60 with a single driver in it. Load the car up and it's in the 4's probably. It's irrelevant as the cars horsepower and torque DROPS from idle as it spins up, where ICE cars build power as they rev up. It's quick from 0-60 that's it, and when a full EV can have thousands of horsepower and run 200-300 MPH trap speeds in the 1/4 mile can it claim it has replaced displacement.

There are some AWD vehicles that can beat Corvettes and other sports cars off the line to 0-60 too. But who cares. It would destroy them in every other category because it's a real sports car. Who cares if it beat the car off the line. At the end of the day it still fails every other performance metric.

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties, PF. I rarely see someone get so defensive about a meme that has nothing to do with that person.

Firstly, street bikes aren't widely known as "high-displacement" vehicles. Secondly, you're (without any sense of humor) comparing motorcycles, karts, and GTR cars to a luxury sedan. Bringing a car's handling into an entirely non-serious discussion about displacement is also silly.

By your metrics, you should make a meme that says "There's no replacement for low-displacement, turbocharged, high-revving engines supplemented by electric motors." Since F1 cars are widely known to handle pretty well. Let me know when you're done so I can bring my own dose of pedantry to the thread.

In real world driving, 0-60 times are my most important measurement.
It is that ability that makes getting on expressways safe and easy.
It's fast 0-40 times that make a car more than just a means of transportation.
I love great handling, but quickness off the line is something that is utilized far more in an urban or suburban environment.

How does the OP's meme of joking about "no replacement for displacement" have anything to do with how many passengers fit in the vehicle?

Yes the car (P85D) is quick from 0-60 with a single driver in it. Load the car up and it's in the 4's probably. It's irrelevant as the cars horsepower and torque DROPS from idle as it spins up, where ICE cars build power as they rev up. It's quick from 0-60 that's it, and when a full EV can have thousands of horsepower and run 200-300 MPH trap speeds in the 1/4 mile can it claim it has replaced displacement.

There are some AWD vehicles that can beat Corvettes and other sports cars off the line to 0-60 too. But who cares. It would destroy them in every other category because it's a real sports car. Who cares if it beat the car off the line. At the end of the day it still fails every other performance metric.
First...
You're taking the meme WAY too seriously. The point is that given similar cost, features, etc. that electric is as fast, and likely faster, than a similarly built ICE vehicle.

Second, the vehicles you mention that beat the P85D are high end, edge of the performance envelope for ICE vehicles players. Do you have ANY doubt in your mind that Tesla or someone else could not build a monsterously powerful 4 in-hub motor roadster that could not completely blow away any and all of the comparison vehicles you mention? I don't doubt it a bit. I'm not bashing ICE sports cars here, not my intent at all, but I am saying that the phrase is becoming meaningless...there is a replacement for displacement.

a street bike, a GTR, a shifter kart, a Porsche 911 turbo S, a supercharged SRT Jeep, etc will all hang or beat a P85D off the line when driven correctly.

im not seeing your point and how this meme of "no replacement for displacement" makes sense. Clearly high displacement ICE vehicles are still the fastest and most powerful vehicles on the planet..........
You over analyzed and wrote a long courtroom argument over a MEME! lol. What a perfect waste of time.

a supercharged SRT Jeep, etc will all hang or beat a P85D off the line when driven correctly.

Wait, what?

- You are comparing an aftermarket supercharged vehicle to a stock one

- The idea of "no replacement for displacement" typically is arguing against things like turbos and superchargers (and in this case electric)

- Even the 0-60 times for the supercharged SRT's I've seen online are claiming a bit slower 0-60 times than the P85D, and there's some suspicion the D may also be slightly faster than factory spec, as the other cars have been

- The stock 0-60 times for Jeeps (or even the 600+ Henssey) are nowhere in the ballpark

I get the point you are making, but poor example.

In real world driving, 0-60 times are my most important measurement.
It is that ability that makes getting on expressways safe and easy.
It's fast 0-40 times that make a car more than just a means of transportation.
I love great handling, but quickness off the line is something that is utilized far more in an urban or suburban environment.
0-60 is about as relevant in the real word as top speed. How often do you find yourself standing on the accelerator when the red light turns green?

the ignorant meme, which isn't funny to someone who is a car enthusiast and knows what they are talking about.

Joker_Why_so_serious__by_mjlynch712.jpg

But by all means, go ahead and chuckle amongst yourselves about how quick you beat something off the line for 3 seconds. Let's see how your car would do against an E63 AMG, S63 AMG, Audi S7, Charger/Challenger Hellcat, Corvette, Viper, Porsche, etc around the turns, braking, slalom, skidpad, quarter mile, etc. Stop embarrassing the rest of us Tesla enthusiasts and making us out to be a bunch of Starbucks sipping d-bags.

Dude, there are a zillion metrics that provide some insight in to a car's performance envelope:

- 0-60 time
- 0-100 time
- 0-60-0 time
- 0-100-0 time
- 1/4 mile time
- 1/4 mile speed
- top speed
- skidpad lateral G holding
- braking ditance from 60
- braking distance from 100
- braking distance from top speed
- etc...

There are few cars that are at the top of their game in all of them. The 8 liter 16 cylinder quad-turbo Veyron may be fastest... but when a GT-r with less than half the displacement, cylinders, and turbos is quicker, than it's worthy of some comparison. Yet some other car may smoke both of them in a slalom.

So, is any one metric the ultimate qualifier of what makes a car "best"? No.

But when an EV edges in to what has been considered "supercar" territory in at least one metric is it interesting and worthy of note (even in a humorous way)? Absolutely.

Yep. What I think is funny is that the P85D is a 4-door family sedan. It's an awesome family car that can seat 5 adults and haul as much stuff as an SUV.

The fact that you can even mention it in the same breath as a McLaren or top-of-the-line Porsche and Ferrari without hysterical laughter is the true win.