Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understand no "Auto Pilot" for older cars - but expected ACC to be retrofit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
I understand the Auto Pilot features require a broad array of sensors and integration that were never envisioned when the Model S was originally released. Adaptive Cruise Control on the other hand was talked about a great deal even before the beta unveiling. I remember discussions at the kickoff event in Freemont (and participated in threads on TMC) at the time. Would be a welcome update for Signature and other early adopters.

I understand the Auto Pilot features require a broad array of sensors and integration that were never envisioned when the Model S was originally released. Adaptive Cruise Control on the other hand was talked about a great deal even before the beta unveiling. I remember discussions at the kickoff event in Freemont (and participated in threads on TMC) at the time. Would be a welcome update for Signature and other early adopters.

I think one good way to do this, and probably a low cost way, would be to simply add hooks in the Model S software to recognize the aftermarket MobilEye camera sensor which can be purchased for any vehicle for about $500. Tesla partnered with MobilEye to develop at least part of the driver safety features using the windshield camera, and those features could be made to work with MobilEye's aftermarket camera that sticks onto your windshield. We should be able to at least get whatever safety features are related to the camera function.

Obviously this would require some software/coding work on Tesla's part, but they already have the partnership with MobilEye and have already adapted MobilEye technology for use at the OEM level. Now just give us a plug-and-play option using the aftermarket camera and we are set.

I would hope at least the Speed Limit readout in the dash could at least be provided based on GPS and map data. understand the camera reads the actual sign boards but Elon said that as a fallback the current road speed limit can be read from the GPS. This would be a useful feature for a lot of folks including setting a "ding" if one is going above speed limit.

I would hope at least the Speed Limit readout in the dash could at least be provided based on GPS and map data. understand the camera reads the actual sign boards but Elon said that as a fallback the current road speed limit can be read from the GPS. This would be a useful feature for a lot of folks including setting a "ding" if one is going above speed limit.

My Audi's nav system has this data and displays it. Tesla could/should use this data as a secondary source.

I think the answer would be no.

In response to people talking about ACC, Tesla made it clear that they were approaching it as part of a system that would allow auto-pilot functionality. The key step they've reached is that they've put all the hardware in place for driver assistance and AutoPilot, including changes to the steering and braking. No hardware, no assistance.

It's possible that they could allow hooks, but I don't think it would be anything that controls the drivetrain.