Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard charger replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only been charging at 40a lately, haven't really noticed for how long.

I reported the issue to them yesterday and I have an appointment for Oct 30th to get the charger replaced.

Is 8 days without one of my onboard chargers really acceptable?

How many others are there now that have had a charger replaced?

Is it just me, or did Tesla used to be proactive about calling customers about issues like this? I know it is possible for them to monitor the logs from the car to see these failures. If they're not going to give us access to the logs I'd like to see them watching out since we can't.

One charger is fine for overnight charging. I got twin chargers with my Sig S, but have only a 14-50 at home so never tried to use the slave (second) charger until I was on a road trip almost 18 months after taking delivery. That's when I found out my car would only charge at 10kW on an HPWC capable of delivering 20kW: the slave charger was defunct, as the service team was able to determine over the air while the car sat on charge.

If I understand what I was told of the way the charging system works, your master charger must be functioning to get any charge, even if the slave is OK.

I've only been charging at 40a lately, haven't really noticed for how long.

I reported the issue to them yesterday and I have an appointment for Oct 30th to get the charger replaced.

Is 8 days without one of my onboard chargers really acceptable?

How many others are there now that have had a charger replaced?

Is it just me, or did Tesla used to be proactive about calling customers about issues like this? I know it is possible for them to monitor the logs from the car to see these failures. If they're not going to give us access to the logs I'd like to see them watching out since we can't.

Did you tell the service center that an 8 day turn around time is unacceptable for you?

Did you tell the service center that an 8 day turn around time is unacceptable for you?

I'm not typically one to complain if I can deal with it. I use my dual chargers every day, and most days need the second one. I'll just have to remember to get home an hour or two earlier than normal (I run the car from 90% down to around 20% every day) While I'm not thrilled about it being that long I have no reason other than "I want it fixed" to say I'm not satisfied.

I'd rather get great service rather than have to demand it.

maybe the 2nd onboard charger is there but just not enabled, from the factory, or as a result of some other intermediary software fix/download they deselected the feature from the car?

just a thought

I'm not typically one to complain if I can deal with it. I use my dual chargers every day, and most days need the second one. I'll just have to remember to get home an hour or two earlier than normal (I run the car from 90% down to around 20% every day) While I'm not thrilled about it being that long I have no reason other than "I want it fixed" to say I'm not satisfied.

I'd rather get great service rather than have to demand it.

For most owners with dual chargers, including me, the only time that I really need the second charger is on the trips with an HPWC or J1772 available with more than 40 Amps. For most day to day use, the single charger does fine.

Here is my quick calculation for your numbers, assuming 100% is 265 rated miles, you use 70% per day and a single charger will charge at 28 rated miles per hour: 265 rated miles * 70% / 28 mph = 6.5 hours. That says you should be able to recharge each night in 6.5 hours. If you need to charge faster than 6 or 7 hours, by all means tell that to your service center and ask for a quicker response, but it seems reasonable to me that they assumed a repair of the second charger was not interfering with your normal use of the the car and not an urgent situation.

Good Luck!

For HPWC setup I set my charge rate at home to be 50A, unless I really need fast charge.
This way I know I'm getting use of both chargers (because it's over 40A charge rate), just to keep both chargers exercised.
If one were to go off-line, I would see the drop in charge rate on the App and know right away.

maybe the 2nd onboard charger is there but just not enabled, from the factory, or as a result of some other intermediary software fix/download they deselected the feature from the car?

just a thought

No, it was working, and has been since I purchased the car. I always charge at 80a at home.

- - - Updated - - -

For most owners with dual chargers, including me, the only time that I really need the second charger is on the trips with an HPWC or J1772 available with more than 40 Amps. For most day to day use, the single charger does fine.

Here is my quick calculation for your numbers, assuming 100% is 265 rated miles, you use 70% per day and a single charger will charge at 28 rated miles per hour: 265 rated miles * 70% / 28 mph = 6.5 hours. That says you should be able to recharge each night in 6.5 hours. If you need to charge faster than 6 or 7 hours, by all means tell that to your service center and ask for a quicker response, but it seems reasonable to me that they assumed a repair of the second charger was not interfering with your normal use of the the car and not an urgent situation.

Good Luck!

Agreed, which is why I figured I'd discuss it before lodging a complaint.

I used to have a longer commute and was only afforded 5-6 hours of sleep.. so I would need 80-90% charge, and would have to do it in 5-6 hours.. so I actually needed my dual chargers daily, not just for trips.

You raise a good point. Model S owners ought to be able to access the logs just as Roadster owners have been able to do all along. I worry most about things that show no outward signs of failing like the battery conditions systems, flaps that open during SpC use on hot days, and other internals. The first step TM could take is to display these errors on the console so owners can take appropriate action. Suppressing error reporting of failed components doesn't seem like a good idea to me.