Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in European and NoAm charging: Cable end, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
I have been looking into what might ensue were we to be posted to a location in Europe. The chance is small but not non-existent; regardless:

IF we are headed there, is a Model S built for the NoAm market able to survive un-altered in Europe? To the best I've been able to uncover, Euro-vehicles have a slightly different Mennekes-2 set of pin receptacles, which differ from what our vehicles possess. So....

1. if I were to bring our cable, would all we need do would be to emplace the appropriate other-end adaptor to fit a Euro-receptacle?

2. Is there any way we could make use of Europe's Superchargers?

3. Is it relatively easy to surgically remove the NoAm charge port and emplace a European one (if indeed there is a difference)?

4. Has anyone recorded doing this yet?

Selling a NoAm vehicle and purchasing a Euro-specific one is, of course, a possibility, but almost certainly entails a greater loss than the cost of shipping a vehicle.

From what I've read, I believe the European chargers are completely different, with three little sub-chargers built in to pull power off of the three phases that the Mennekes connecter exposes. It seems unlikely that it could be changed without replacing the entire charger assembly. I don't know if there's a practical adapter option.

As fas as I know the Superchargers are exactly the same except for the connector (also a modified Mennekes,) so some sort of adapter should be possible, but I've never seen or heard of one.
Walter

Sorry this is a total non-starter. Sell your Model S and buy one in Europe.

Different charging cable and protocols. Different on board chargers. No access to superchargers.
Different radio frequencies - in Europe you'd want DAB+ radio service not XM.
Different radio frequencies for things like the keyfob - possible regulatory/interference issues with using American frequencies in Europe.
Almost certainly no 3G service in Europe using your North American SIM.
Your Navigon satnav system probably doesn't have European mapping on board.
Changes required to lighting (at the very least indicators which need to be amber, but also headlights and rear fog lamps I believe).
Shipping is a pain because hazardous materials regulations mean the main battery pack has to be removed from the car first (and reattached at the other end).
And No warranty cover (you will have to ship the car back to the US for service - and Tesla have been very clear that they WILL NOT honour warranties for cars shipped out of region - this came up with the Roadster).