Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incredibly Loud Screech/Tone Over the Speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Saturday, my Model S exhibited a frightening and dangerous behavior.

Background -- When we all piled into the car to go on a trip, I noticed that the turn signals were not making any noise and I also noticed that the media system seemed to be caught in a loop where it kept trying to play music from Slacker, but it struggled to play it and you couldn't hear it. It would then "reboot" itself (i.e., the media screen on the driver side display would blank out and start back up). About two minutes into the drive, the music came on but it kept going off on and on even when I tried to change sources to XM or something that didn't need 3G. We then made a quick stop at a convenience store.

Problem -- While waiting in the car at the store the media system continued to struggle as if trying to reboot itself and that's when it happened:

an INCREDIBLY LOUD screech/tone blared through the speakers at what seemed like the maximum possible volume. My wife and I both grabbed our ears and were literally in panic mode (hearts racing, etc.). It lasted about 2 seconds.

I immediately rebooted using the scroll wheels, about 30 seconds after the reboot it was obviously that the media system was having the same problem and SREEEEEECH it did again. At this point, my wife was very upset and insisting we take the car home.

We called Tesla customer service and reported the problem, but the representative had never heard of such a problem. He said he would pass it along to the service center. Of course, just after we got off the phone, SCREEEEEECH.

At this point, I turned back towards home, called Tesla and pulled over. The tech had me reboot the driver's side display, reboot the main display, and power off the car. However, we noticed that the media system still hadn't righted itself when the systems came back on. On the couple minute drive back to the house, it SCREEEEECHED again.

We then got home, and got in my wife's ICE car and went on our trip without incident. However, our ears hurt for a while after the incidents. Our nerves were on edge, and my wife doesn't want to get in my car again.

Simply put, the noise is so loud it could potentially damage your hearing and it is so startling that it could potentially cause an accident.

On Sunday, I called the service center and explained that this was no mere noise and the car was unsafe to drive. They kindly brought over a loaner (even though I wasn't home) and took my car to the SC. I also warned them that any tech trying to reproduce the noise should be very careful as the volume level is a potential hazard.

The SC had never heard of this problem, and they are working with engineering on what the cause and potential solution are. Two other threads have mentioned something similar, but I don't think the circumstances were quite the same.

Anybody experience this issue? If so, what fix, if any, was applied?

BTW--I had no bluetooth devices connected. I did have my phone charging and a USB stick in place when the first incident happened, but I disconnected them just to make sure.

On Saturday, my Model S exhibited a frightening and dangerous behavior.

Background -- When we all piled into the car to go on a trip, I noticed that the turn signals were not making any noise and I also noticed that the media system seemed to be caught in a loop where it kept trying to play music from Slacker, but it struggled to play it and you couldn't hear it. It would then "reboot" itself (i.e., the media screen on the driver side display would blank out and start back up). About two minutes into the drive, the music came on but it kept going off on and on even when I tried to change sources to XM or something that didn't need 3G. We then made a quick stop at a convenience store.

Problem -- While waiting in the car at the store the media system continued to struggle as if trying to reboot itself and that's when it happened:

an INCREDIBLY LOUD screech/tone blared through the speakers at what seemed like the maximum possible volume. My wife and I both grabbed our ears and were literally in panic mode (hearts racing, etc.). It lasted about 2 seconds.

I immediately rebooted using the scroll wheels, about 30 seconds after the reboot it was obviously that the media system was having the same problem and SREEEEEECH it did again. At this point, my wife was very upset and insisting we take the car home.

We called Tesla customer service and reported the problem, but the representative had never heard of such a problem. He said he would pass it along to the service center. Of course, just after we got off the phone, SCREEEEEECH.

At this point, I turned back towards home, called Tesla and pulled over. The tech had me reboot the driver's side display, reboot the main display, and power off the car. However, we noticed that the media system still hadn't righted itself when the systems came back on. On the couple minute drive back to the house, it SCREEEEECHED again.

We then got home, and got in my wife's ICE car and went on our trip without incident. However, our ears hurt for a while after the incidents. Our nerves were on edge, and my wife doesn't want to get in my car again.

Simply put, the noise is so loud it could potentially damage your hearing and it is so startling that it could potentially cause an accident.

On Sunday, I called the service center and explained that this was no mere noise and the car was unsafe to drive. They kindly brought over a loaner (even though I wasn't home) and took my car to the SC. I also warned them that any tech trying to reproduce the noise should be very careful as the volume level is a potential hazard.

The SC had never heard of this problem, and they are working with engineering on what the cause and potential solution are. Two other threads have mentioned something similar, but I don't think the circumstances were quite the same.

Anybody experience this issue? If so, what fix, if any, was applied?

BTW--I had no bluetooth devices connected. I did have my phone charging and a USB stick in place when the first incident happened, but I disconnected them just to make sure.

Got that once lately. Was using bluetooth audio streaming from my phone. Something crashed in the main screen and I've got a maximum volume tone for what looked like 1 sec. Pretty scary.

On 6.0 (not sure exactly which version since the car is over at the Service Center).

Kalud -- Did you have the service center look into this?

I was on 6.0 (.42 build), got .43 yesterday. I did not have the service center check since I figured it should have been a software glitch hard to reproduce. But I did reporte (via voice control) the Bluetooth issue I was having at the time it did it.

Do you have the Audio System upgrade? How was the bass?

I have the upgraded audio system but the loud tone was like in the mid-range, not much from the bass.

The service center reported back. Apparently the engineering team determined that the issue was caused by an internal failure of the main center display. The SC has replaced the center display, run some tests, and I should get it back tomorrow. Fingers crossed.