Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internationally approved high-amp J1772 EVSE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

Hello,
North American Forum didn't seem to be the best to post this question, but I wasn't able find the right forum.

I'm planning to setup a high-amp J1772 EVSE for my condo, allowing my Model S and Leafs, e-Ups etc with one unit. Here, we only have 3kW J1772 EVSEs from Japanese manufacturers.
I've checked Clipper Creek and it didn't say any other countries than U.S.A. And Canada, and one European manufacturer I sent an email (and sorry I forgot the name but it's EVSE was really compact) said they don't support Japan.

Is there anything like that? If nothing, I'll resort to low power CHAdeMO or one 3kW J1772 and HPWC from Tesla.

Somehow I didn't see @miimura responded to my question. Thank you, and sorry.

Update: it seems the lack of tech service is the biggest issue for Clipper Creek unit. One electrician said yes I'll do that.

The problem was the installation. The management company quoted a little bit less than $30,000 if utilizing power transformer underground. With Clipper Creek unit my condo would need to fully pay it. I decided to propose our HOA with Nichikon CHAdeMO 20kW charger, which will support single phase 200V.

In Japan, with CHAdeMO charger installation, two things are allowed.
- Get 2nd separate feed from power company. Usually, one location, one contract, one (presumably, high voltage) feed. 200V single phase feed is much cheaper as it's for regular homes.
- Government subsidy.
As an added bonus, the 200V feed comes from the power pole, it should be much less installation cost!

What cars are available in Japan (other than Tesla) that can accept more than 3kW by J1772? If the Japanese Leaf has a 6.6kW on-board charger like it (optionally) does in USA, why aren't there EVSE to support it? Does e-Up have CHAdeMO in Japan like i3? Both those chars have CCS in Europe while the e-Up is not offered in USA and i3 has SAE Combo.

If the only way for other cars to get more than 3kW charge rate is CHAdeMO, then it is reasonable to get one 20kW CHAdeMO unit and an array of 3kW J1772 for overnight charging. However, if the 20kW unit will be fed by a dedicated utility feed, I have to wonder what the increased costs are for a proper 50kW unit and utility service. If it is "only" double the cost, maybe that is worthwhile, depending on who is bearing the costs and how much it will be utilized in the short term.

Hi @miimura, unfortunately Teslas are the only cars that accept more than 3kW AC charging. So no existing, Japanese EVSE with higher than 3kW.
Proper 50kW feed should be at least 6.6kV or in metro Tokyo areas 22kV, and the consumer need to own the transformer. No choice for me and if it's such high voltage feed, I'll not be allowed to have two such feeds. Very complex.