Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy has a new ad that is aimed at Tesla (indirectly)....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
saw a commercial stating that "chevy is the first and only vehicle to have 4g lte"...

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/ar...evy-BP-SN-Exact_|_Chevy+4G+LTE_|_chevy 4g lte

2014-culture-4glte-mh-1-1480x551.jpg

That is just sad that Tesla can't get this going and shutdown this ad campaign from Chevy!!!

In the wording of the ad they specifically mention Trucks and Crossovers. I believe Audi has had 4G in the A7 for a couple of years. Tesla and Audi won't be able to compete because neither have a truck. Careful wording by Chevy...

In the wording of the ad they specifically mention Trucks and Crossovers. I believe Audi has had 4G in the A7 for a couple of years. Tesla and Audi won't be able to compete because neither have a truck. Careful wording by Chevy...

They also specifically mention cars. Unless you're implying they're the only company to bring 4G to a car, a truck AND a crossover...

Am I wrong in thinking the Audi A3 also has 4G??????

If it does, unless it also acts as wifi hotspot, then the Chevy adverstisement will still as the one and only. I see this as no big deal. I doubt Chevy is giving it away for free. I'd rather take Tesla's free 3G than pay for Chevy's 4G. Also, anyone can get a portable 4G LTE hotspot. In the States, I use T-Moblie and get 5gb of LTE for $30 month. I bet Chevy charges a lot more than that.

If it does, unless it also acts as wifi hotspot, then the Chevy adverstisement will still as the one and only. I see this as no big deal. I doubt Chevy is giving it away for free. I'd rather take Tesla's free 3G than pay for Chevy's 4G. Also, anyone can get a portable 4G LTE hotspot. In the States, I use T-Moblie and get 5gb of LTE for $30 month. I bet Chevy charges a lot more than that.

OnStar with 4G LTE | Wi-Fi Hotspot | OnStar.com

You get 3 months or 3 GB (whichever comes first) for free with the vehicle. After that you pay. Standalone plans are indeed more expensive that you mention there (equivalent is $50 for 5gb/month). Though apparently if you have AT&T you can add the vehicle to your existing plan for $10. So I guess it depends.

For what it's worth I agree. I'll take 4 years of 3G and Slacker over the 4G. Yeah the browser is slower, but I'd rather have the slacker and the maps.

As I understand the deal, the 3G is for life and Slacker is not. Renewable at 6 months? Or am I wrong on this? My maps have been updated twice in the 5 months I have had ownership of the Model S. Now have an App also connecting to my phone calendar which I live by. No complaints on my end.

Personally I am a huge fan of OnStar having had it for quite a few years in my GM vehicles.

It seems to me that Tesla already has the makings of it's own "OnStar" system with 3G built in to the cars. I've hear reports of Model S owners being called right after an accident by Tesla to see if they're okay. I would be willing to pay 20 or 30 bucks a month if Tesla were to offer a formal suite of OnStar-like services for their cars.

Does this even matter? I can't stand seeing these types of commercials where they single out a specific ability, touting they have the greatest and most updated car. Is this still an ICE? Yes, yes it is. So it's still outdated to me.

Personally I am a huge fan of OnStar having had it for quite a few years in my GM vehicles.

It seems to me that Tesla already has the makings of it's own "OnStar" system with 3G built in to the cars. I've hear reports of Model S owners being called right after an accident by Tesla to see if they're okay. I would be willing to pay 20 or 30 bucks a month if Tesla were to offer a formal suite of OnStar-like services for their cars.
Really? Does it do something beyond what OnStar's site claims? Because we get everything they advertise for free with our included connectivity package (first 4 years of ownership). This is OnStar's list of features:

Automatic Crash Response
Emergency Services
Stolen Vehicle Assistance
Roadside Assistance
Remote Services
Turn-by-Turn Navigation
Hands-Free Calling
RemoteLink Mobile App
Vehicle Diagnostics

The only one of these we don't explicitly already have is Stolen Vehicle Assistance, and even then I'd suspect Tesla would be interested in helping an owner recover a stolen car. Either way, that feature would certainly not be worth an additional $30 a month to me.

Really? Does it do something beyond what OnStar's site claims? Because we get everything they advertise for free with our included connectivity package (first 4 years of ownership). This is OnStar's list of features:

What I like about it is that it does it all with it's built-in connectivity (including voice calls). I'm not sure if Tesla is actively monitoring every crash or whether it is just hit-and-miss (pardon the pun). The OnStar service will attempt to call you through the car's built-in system (good if you don't have a cell phone or if it is broken or out of reach after a crash) and then will send first responders.

And that's what I meant by Tesla has the makings of a similar system and a potential business opportunity. They could add voice calling and sell "minutes" like OnStar does as well. It seems like they have most, if not all of the hardware in place to do this.

Automatic Crash Response
Emergency Services
Stolen Vehicle Assistance
Roadside Assistance
Remote Services
Turn-by-Turn Navigation
Hands-Free Calling
RemoteLink Mobile App
Vehicle Diagnostics

The only one of these we don't explicitly already have is Stolen Vehicle Assistance, and even then I'd suspect Tesla would be interested in helping an owner recover a stolen car. Either way, that feature would certainly not be worth an additional $30 a month to me.
Do we actually have Automatic Crash Response? sure they often phone you to see if everything is ok, but do they formally do it enough that you can rely on it? if they don't get you, do they then call emergency services on your behalf? This hasn't been well communicated if it is in fact the case. That and stolen vehicle assistance are the 2 most touted features of on-star, and Tesla doesn't officially do either...

That said, this ad is a joke, I love the tablet with map, how archaic!

What I like about it is that it does it all with it's built-in connectivity (including voice calls). I'm not sure if Tesla is actively monitoring every crash or whether it is just hit-and-miss (pardon the pun). The OnStar service will attempt to call you through the car's built-in system (good if you don't have a cell phone or if it is broken or out of reach after a crash) and then will send first responders.

And that's what I meant by Tesla has the makings of a similar system and a potential business opportunity. They could add voice calling and sell "minutes" like OnStar does as well. It seems like they have most, if not all of the hardware in place to do this.

I don't see that as being consistent with Tesla's approach. Tesla is all about bundling or getting people to pay up front and then working to fulfill at low cost as a competitive advantage. Handling small transactions, account management and staffing just makes things more expensive overall.