Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Not Use The Model S Handsfree?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bollar

Disgruntled Member
May 1, 2013
Southlake, TX
I was passed by a Black 85 today and I noticed the driver was talking on the phone. Like most of you, I see this all the time, but I usually assume the car doesn't have handsfree. We know that's not the case on the Model S, so I wonder why someone would choose to hold their phone instead. He also drifted into my lane without signaling, but that also happens often here, so maybe it's not related to using the phone. :D

Last edited:
The Bluetooth phone pairing audio quality in the Model S is really very very poor. Much easier to hear on phone vs through car.

Hmm... not sure I agree with that.

The call quality on bluetooth in my Model S has been excellent on both ends. It is even usable, although the remote party can tell, with windows down... no complaints here.

When I have passengers in the car I have switched to the phone and if you want to have the windows down you almost need to have the phone to your ear... At least that's how I feel. And there could be various other reasons for it as well. But this is certainly the first car that I have owned that the Bluetooth has been integrated very well with the car that I go hands free all the time with it.

I was passed by a Black 85 today and I noticed the driver was talking on the phone. Like most of you, I see this all the time, but I usually assume the car doesn't have handsfree. We know that's not the case on the Model S, so I wonder why someone would choose to hold their phone instead. He also drifted into my lane without signaling, but that also happens often here, so maybe it's not related to using the phone. :D

In MA hand held phones are not illegal, and I see people holding phones while driving recent luxury and other cars (heck, I used bluetooth on Toyota Yaris rentals two years ago) all the time. I think it's a function of technical incompetence and laziness compounded by not very user-friendly setup procedures.

Hmm... not sure I agree with that.

The call quality on bluetooth in my Model S has been excellent on both ends. It is even usable, although the remote party can tell, with windows down... no complaints here.

+1 My biggest issue is occasionally I'm talking on the phone outside the car and if I get too close I suddenly lose the call to the car...

Last edited: