Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVD -W902 Map update for IVA-NAV-10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the web page: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Map update for INA-NAV-10 is finally available. Two and a half years to acquire, two minutes to install :)

Why did you have to wait 2.5 yrs to acquire this? I bought an SD card map update for the INA-NAV-10 about 18 months ago and it was available before then. What bugs me about the map updates is they don't tell you on the website what version the update is. How do I know it's newer than the one I bought 1.5 years ago?

edit: I just noticed they are now giving the date of the map data. They didn't used to do that:
Most updated database (2013Q4 Data)

Last edited:
It is different. Better or worse, who can tell. The web page for the map update also links to a manual:

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_NVD-W912_EN.pdf

Which is CLOSE to the actual software!!! I guess the IVA-NAV-20 is different.

The information page is gone.

Canceling a route is more straight forward.

One new neat feature is that it displays the house numbers on each side of you at the top of the screen.

Also has a display for version information.

IMG_0745.JPG

Just got my update and installed it.

Holy crap...what a PITA.

Instructions say to open the door, put in the SD card, close the door...and unit will recognize the card and prompt you to install the update. Yeah, right.

Mine didn't. So I went into the menu and found the "Update" button and, when I pressed that, I got a message telling me that no update files were found on the SD card. Was only after I power-cycled the car (not just turning the Alpine unit off/on) did it prompt for the update.

It also would start to update, flicker black, then go to the audio screen, displaying a message that "Update Completed Successfully"...when it clearly wasn't.

Instructions say this should take about 2 minutes. Took me about a half hour.

But, it's done. And it looks like a completely new unit (not necessarily "better", just new/different). Menu is completely different, maps look completely different. I haven't had the chance to drive around and see if the roads are more accurate (they were wildly inaccurate in my area (in the old map/software revision)).

upgrade

Why did you have to wait 2.5 yrs to acquire this? I bought an SD card map update for the INA-NAV-10 about 18 months ago and it was available before then. What bugs me about the map updates is they don't tell you on the website what version the update is. How do I know it's newer than the one I bought 1.5 years ago?

edit: I just noticed they are now giving the date of the map data. They didn't used to do that:

Henry,

I think I figured it out. The way you tell if they have a new update is the actual number. I also upgraded about 18 months ago, and looking back at my records, it was called NVD-W901. This new one is NVD-W902. I guess if we keep an eye on the last digit, we can get the next one in another 18 months!

DJ

Here's a picture of the new nav.
It shows all the lanes, and which lanes go where.

Also, when you don't have a destination set and you're just driving along, it shows your current speed on the main map screen as well as the speed limit of the current road.

20141101_111121.jpg

Looks much nicer. Is the POI
Up to date?

I haven't messed with the POI list yet (I don't use that very much)...but the maps sure are a heck of a lot more current (read "Accurate") than before.

They've done some major construction projects around here (DC area) in the last 5 years. The new NAV knows all about the "mixing bowl" area (I-395/495/95), it knows about the HOT lanes on I-495, and it knows about the extension of the Fairfax County Parkway (with the old Nav, it showed me driving through an empty field).

Map updates alone make it easily worth $100.00.