Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ExtendView Side Mirrors -- outstanding visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I just installed the ExtendView Side Mirrors made by Really Light Stuff ExtendViewâ„¢ Side Mirrors | Really Light Stuff I bought the "blue glass" anti-glare version.

A tremendous improvement over the stock mirrors, which I think are inadequate particularly given the limited rear quarter visibility of the Roadster body design.

I searched the forums but didn't find any posts about these particular mirrors. They are rather unusual because the outer third (almost, but more than one quarter) of the glass is quite convex and lets you see objects directly adjacent to you and across over two lanes to either side. And at the same time you can see almost to the edge of the Roadster body so there is a lot of overlap between the ExtendView mirrors and the rear view mirror.

I quickly became so confident in the wide field of view offered by these mirrors that I had no need to turn my head to check before making a lane change, I just signal, glance at the mirror, and if it's clear change lanes while keeping my eyes looking ahead.

Searching the forums for "side mirrors" led me to believe that the "Multivex" side mirror that has been posted about the past is no longer available. The ExtendView Side Mirrors made by Really Light Stuff seem like the best choice out there.

They fit very well into the existing mirror enclosure, and come with four round, thin, adhesive pads per mirror. The pads are too large to use whole, I cut them in half and placed the curved part close to each corner leaving about 1/16" of space as the instructions recommended. Here's a photo showing how curved the mirrors are.

ExtendView mirror top down view.JPG

Reactions: dhrivnak
I have the Multivex mirrors, and I consider them essential for covering the blind spots in the Roadster. Unfortunately they are no longer available.

The Multivex mirrors were curved horizontally and vertically, to different amounts. But this looks almost as good, and no doubt would be a big help.

I posted a link to these mirrors in an earlier for sale / mirror thread, I believe shrink picked up a set as well:
Mirrors Interior and Exterior - Page 10

Looks like there's an alien head picture that's in the mirror, so make sure you get those guys with their head up rather than down. My guess the mirrors are marked drivers and passenger as well as up/down. If there's no up/down use the alien as a reference (if that's still on the mirror).

Last edited:
Thanks @wiztecy, I failed to find that thread. Mods, I suggest this thread be merged with the one wiztecy linked to.

@Doug_G, the ExtendView mirros are also slightly curved along the vertical axis. The field of view is incredible.

The mirrors are not labeled as to "driver side" or "passenger side". The alien head graphic goes on the inside lower corner.

Last edited:
I think this thread is fitting, I'd keep it here. The for-sale one is a little misleading since its not in the Roadster section. Thanks for posting, plus that pic you provided shows the curve pretty good. Any idea why they have that vertical line in the mirror? Is it to show the driver where the curve starts or just a separate part of the mirror?

Cool thread, looks like I'll be ordering a set.

Was wondering about legal issues, got more info here Math professor's side mirror that eliminates 'blind spot' receives US patent

In the United States, regulations dictate that cars coming off of the assembly line must have a flat mirror on the driver's side. Curved mirrors are allowed for cars' passenger-side mirrors only if they include the phrase "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."
Because of these regulations, Hicks's mirrors will not be installed on new cars sold in the U.S. any time soon. The mirror may be manufactured and sold as an aftermarket product that drivers and mechanics can install on cars after purchase.

Thanks just ordered a pair. It didn't say anything about choosing the blue glass anti-glare version??

The drop down menu at the bottom of the page under the text "Order RLS ExtendView Side Mirror Glass" gives you a choice between the standard mirror and the anti-glare type. I recommend anti-glare. You can send an email to RLS and ask to change your order.

Hello -

you can PM me if there is an order change (I'm Thomas from RLS). I'm happy that the Tesla community found us. I'm here to help.

The antiglare mirrors are quite nice since the Tesla is so low to the ground and you tend to get the headlight glare from the larger vehicles around you.

Someone asked about the vertical line: it is a quick visual reference to help you distinguish the "normal" area of the mirror and the wide-angle portion of the mirror. (Objects are closer than they appear, so the vertical line is a good reminder where than zone begins.) It is also the European convention.

I've had these for a few weeks - thanks to wiztecy's post in that other thread pointing them out. I just got around to installing them earlier this evening. It's pretty easy. I've just been very busy.

Anyway, I was so excited that I took a drive tonight and to be honest it was a bit disorienting. I would not recommend your initial drive with these in an urban area at night. My frame of reference was pretty off. I felt a lot better towards the end of the drive and I look forward to testing again for my AM work commute. I'm sure it'll just take a little getting used to.

My other concern is at a car wash, you'd really have to inform the attendants to skip the mirrors or to be very careful. They could easily break them by pushing too hard down on the center of the mirror.

@shrink I agree that the first drive after installing the ExtendView mirrors should not be at night because it is harder to judge distances just based on headlights and the unfamiliarity with the level of distortion in the mirrors will be disorienting.

Definitely do the first drive during the day, I got used to the mirrors in 15 minutes and then had no problem adjusting to them at night.

I have only been to a commercial car wash twice in my lifetime so I didn't think about the issue of breaking the mirrors while cleaning them, but I doubt that would happen. Significant force would have to be applied to the central part of the mirror at a right angle to the surface.

Last edited:
Having used dual convex fender mirrors since I started driving, I am very used to having a good view. Sadly, since Lucas stopped, no one makes decent fender mirrors that don't corrode or fall apart. Plus I don't think I really could have drilled holes in my Roadster! But, my solution was large (3¼") convex mirrors adhered to both side mirrors, and adjusted so one barely sees the side of the car. Since the Roadster's mirrors do not angle out enough, you need to find the ones that have an angle built into them, not the ones that adhere flat. I do not use the flat part of the mirror, I only pay attention to what's in the convex view. Then you have a view to the back like a flat all the way to including someone in either lane up to the point where they are even with you. Almost as good as fender mirrors (though you have to turn your head, which wasn't necessary with fender mirrors). I think the mirrors you are talking about sound good too, but you can get the stick ons for far less, and I think they are easier to get used to, since they are the only angle of view you are looking at, since the flat part that's not covered is now facing in a wrong direction now anyway. (Plus, they're pretty easy to remove if you don't like them; looks like those others might be harder to remove if you can't get used to them). Once you are sure, however, you can use silicone glue to ensure they stay on no matter what. Here's the brand that I used (I started using these when I got my Prius in 2000, because the front hood was so sloped fender mirrors couldn't be seen):
Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 11.41.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 11.41.19 AM.png

Notice the thick side is on the inside, so you can compensate for the limited adjustment outward of the Roadster's mirror. Drive safe....

Last edited: