Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone driving around sunrise and have issues with display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the time of the year, I can only assume many of us are driving to work around sunrise and I'm wondering if others are having the same frustration I am.

If I don't adjust the dash brightness myself as the sky is getting brighter I can't see my dash for up to 30 minutes lately during my commute.

I feel the car should make adjustments in brightness in the morning just as it does at sunset. Or, allow me to adjust the ambient light levels at which the car flips to night mode or turns the headlights on.

This irritates me on a daily basis. It is one of those many easy to program things Tesla missed to make the car just that much better.

Best option: map your screen brightness to the steering wheel. I drive at sunrise/sunset pretty often and the car sometimes gets it wrong. I usually just deal with it until it figures it out, but using the steering wheel buttons is your only other quick-access option.

Yeah, but this should be easy to fix by Tesla. After all, the tail lights come on immediately when entering a dark place like a tunnel, so the sensor is there, and working. So, why are they not connected to invert and dim the screen when? The 17" glows like the sun in there, and complete ruins my vision in the dark tunnel (we have plenty of tunnels where I live).
In my previous cars, the screen(s) would flip into night mode immediately when entering a tunnel, and was about five seconds delayed going into day mode when exiting into daylight again.

I keep the display brightness on the right wheel. I realize this is a very first world problem complaint, but it is frustrating knowing that it would be so easy to make this headache go away.

When I use the scroll wheel to turn up the brightness (in night mode) as the sun comes up it will eventually flip to day mode while the night mode is very bright. Then the auto-dimming brightness for sunset time switch to night mode doesn't work because it only dims to the last setting that was set by the user in night mode. Or, even worse, it'll flip to night mode but be at 100% brightness in a dark situation and un-adjust my eyes to night time.

I would like to see the threshold for the switch from day to night and the switch from night to day be adjustable to levels set by the user. Or, even better, when the user switches the headlights off, or on, or parking, whatever, or switches the display night/day mode that the car learns the lighting conditions (via ambient light sensor) and remembers that the user prefers it at that amount of light and start to adjust when it makes the change on its own.

Also, for crying out loud.. give me SOME way to start the car at night without the headlights turning on. get in the car, set headlights to off and hit the brake pedal and you'll see what I mean. I hate being THAT GUY in the fancy car that blinds everyone at the drive in.

It`s quite amazing that Tesla still hasn`t linked the display brightness/display mode to the lightsensor that controls headlights. In tunnels, nothing happens to the display brightness. I`ve owned the car for about 14 months, and honestly I thought this was going to be fixed within a few weeks after I received my car.
But nothing has happened. Amazing that Tesla is able to build this incredible car and everything around it, but fails to get these basic things right even after two years of production. And it`s a software fix! Isn`t Tesla a tech company :D ?

Still love my car though!

It`s quite amazing that Tesla still hasn`t linked the display brightness/display mode to the lightsensor that controls headlights. In tunnels, nothing happens to the display brightness. I`ve owned the car for about 14 months, and honestly I thought this was going to be fixed within a few weeks after I received my car.
But nothing has happened. Amazing that Tesla is able to build this incredible car and everything around it, but fails to get these basic things right even after two years of production. And it`s a software fix! Isn`t Tesla a tech company :D ?

I'm glad someone else thinks the exact same thing I do.

The display brightens automatically on mine when there is enough light. This only happens when the display is set to auto and it's in the night setting. I've never seen it adjust in day mode.

While mine actually does adjust (like in tunnels and such), I agree and have long felt this way about speed-adjustable volume. Really Tesla? Something that can be done in software with sensors already on board is beyond you?

Weren't there complaints at one point that the car switched to quickly between day and night mode when going through tunnels, underpasses, tree shadows, etc? It appears that Tesla both adjusted the threshold and increased the hysteresis related to this. It seems to take a little bit longer to change, I'd say they simply took it a bit too far.

It should work like this:
1. Going from bright to sudden dark conditions: change to night mode immediately, no delay! If day mode is kept on, it will ruin the drivers night vision, and it is hard to see.
2. Going from dark to bright conditions: This is not critical, the driver will not be distracted by the screen being in night mode. The car has time to figure out the light conditions and set the screen to day mode in a few seconds.

This is how my recent cars have been working. We need Tesla there too. Right now, "Auto" is not working, and that is just silly.

All other cars in the same price range does this night/day mode perfectly, and it`s not hard to do. As Boppus suggests: just reduce light intensity to a minimum (either with or without combining it with night-mode) when the light sensor registers sudden transition from light to dark. And adjust the screen backlight continuously according to what outoor brightness the light sensor registres. My old Saab from 1998 did this....

The reason why it`s so noticeable that Tesla hasn`t fixed this is their choice to use enormous screens both behind the wheel and in the center of the dash(imo the right thing to do, and it feels so much more modern than the old buttons!). With these screen sizes/amount of backlight it`s crucial that the screens dim when needed.

For some time I had screen brightness to one of the buttons on the steering wheel. But that shouldn`t be neccessary in a 100K car :)

Again; I love my car, and this is just a tiny issue on a breathtaking pice of automobile. But then again, it`s so basic and that I find it hard to understand why it hasn`t been fixed. The air-suspension is linked to the GPS, so there are one or two great software-minds in Tesla....

I believe the ambient light sensor is on the forward-facing (back) side of the interior rearview mirror. If the sun is behind you around sunrise, it's not surprising that this is a problem. I have never found the auto-brightness or the day/night feature to work perfectly in every light condition. Instead, I keep my displays in Night mode all the time (which I think looks better visually) and I have the right-hand thumb wheel on the steering wheel set to adjust screen brightness. I find that this approach works quite well. There's not another use for that thumb wheel that I would use more often.

I believe the ambient light sensor is on the forward-facing (back) side of the interior rearview mirror. If the sun is behind you around sunrise, it's not surprising that this is a problem. I have never found the auto-brightness or the day/night feature to work perfectly in every light condition. Instead, I keep my displays in Night mode all the time (which I think looks better visually) and I have the right-hand thumb wheel on the steering wheel set to adjust screen brightness. I find that this approach works quite well. There's not another use for that thumb wheel that I would use more often.

The ambient light sensor is in the mirror base, not in the back of the mirror. Near the rain sensor. (according to the service center when I had the light sensor replaced a while ago due to this stupid behavior)

I do keep the brightness on the right scroll wheel. but I get tired of getting blasted when I was into the car at night after it has been in day mode all day and I had to turn up the brightness before it switched to day mode.