Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My suspension/sensor wish: automatic height control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the reasons I didn't bother getting air suspension is that I honestly don't want to have to bother to remember to raise/lower the suspension to get past obstacles. Now that radar and cameras are being used for sensors it occurs to me that one if the big missing features might be possible.

Namely, it would be awesome if the car could automatically detect things like speed bumps, ramps, curbs, and ideally even rough road/potholes, and lift the suspension, and lower it back when past.

I know this isnt the place to make requests, but I'm curious how important this feature might seem to others. The lack of this was the main reason I stuck with coils.

Firmware 6.0 goes a long way toward making this a reality with its geo-referenced ride height adjustment. But I agree with you: automatic ride height adjustment using the car's new sensor suite would be a really great feature.

I use the geo-referenced height control a lot , and it works well. But having to set it manually shouldn't be necessary for speed bumps, etc.
I can see it becoming automatic like Zeani is wishing for. With all the sensors that the D has, it shouldn't be too far in the future (Elon time).

I use the geo-referenced height control a lot , and it works well. But having to set it manually shouldn't be necessary for speed bumps, etc.
I can see it becoming automatic like Zeani is wishing for. With all the sensors that the D has, it shouldn't be too far in the future (Elon time).

It's not fast enough for this - i.e. not fast enough to adjust on the fly while driving. If the sensor picks up the bump for example 1 or 2 seconds before you are about to pass it the car won't adjust in time. Also, constantly pumping air suspension up and down while driving can create handling issues.

It's not fast enough for this - i.e. not fast enough to adjust on the fly while driving. If the sensor picks up the bump for example 1 or 2 seconds before you are about to pass it the car won't adjust in time. Also, constantly pumping air suspension up and down while driving can create handling issues.

you mean like this.... NEW 2014 Mercedes S-Class MAGIC BODY CONTROL - YouTube

S Class uses stereo cameras behind the windshield. New Model S has a single camera... I'm smelling another Tesla revision in about 6-12 months that will add stereo cameras and compensating suspension. Model S tech is in a state of flux right now, playing catch up on the sensor front. It's still not complete. Any true autopilot system would have to be able to detect road imperfections, if for no other reason than to avoid them.

Would love a feature like that. Also would love the car to automatically go into suspension high whoever it is parked. Switchable of course. The latter should be an easy implementation, just some code. Makes for easier entering and exiting for the physically challenged.