Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Ana and the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StephenM

Dec 23, 2012
Hello fellow Hawaii owners! With all of the standing water pooling up on the roads, I'm wondering if anyone knows how many inches of water we can cross before it starts to affect our Model Ss. With ICE cars you worry about hydro lock and the water making contact with the hot engine components, so how high before critical systems are affected for us? I know electrical units don't react too well with water so how high?

I'm not an expert in the car, but from what I've read I don't think it'll be a factor. The battery and all the high power electronics are sealed and liquid cooled.

If the battery blade terminals are protected with a water tight seal (no idea, I've only seen the pack side of the interface in pictures,) then the car could probably drive under water.

Of course, once you get water everything the cabin you've got potential problems there, but the drivetrain should be fine.

OTOH, it's a rather expensive car to be taking chances with...
Walter

See some previous experiences and discussion in this thread from a Florida owner:

Bad experience with flood waters

Thanks Johan. That link was pretty detailed, though no one was clear on how high is O.K.
I guess somewhere under 2 feet is safe. I didn't have to traverse anything more than 10"-12" or so today, but some roads in the kakaako area were definitely around 2' or more. Those back roads always flood easily by the auto repair shops so luckily I know to avoid there.

One consideration is your bow wake. You can drive deeper water if you don't stop, essentially, because the water is being pushed away from the car constantly. This is something Camel Trophy drivers utilize. In practice, I just would play it safe with such an expensive and potentially sensitive car.

Thanks Johan. That link was pretty detailed, though no one was clear on how high is O.K.
I guess somewhere under 2 feet is safe. I didn't have to traverse anything more than 10"-12" or so today, but some roads in the kakaako area were definitely around 2' or more. Those back roads always flood easily by the auto repair shops so luckily I know to avoid there.

Hopefully you raised your car up to Very High :)

wow, you got some b*lls. I wouldn't drive it though anything higher than 6", let alone 10-12", let alone 2'.

I wouldn't risk closer to 2' if I can avoid it at all, but I would hope the Model S (on high suspension setting) could easily/safely get across a patch of water 10"-12". It didn't feel/look that iffy to me when I crossed it yesterday. Oh well. No problems at all (yet). Storm has passed though and now the car needs some serious washing.

I wouldn't try deeper than you have done. if water can get into the louvers in front of the wheels I think there is a immersion sensor that shuts off the battery for safety

Hmm...not sure what would be safer...continuing in deep water with power on or stranded in deep water with power off...hope I don't find out! Of course, if the high voltage is involved (i.e. the system is not waterproof), i'll take stranded; Though preferably not in a stream crossing! :scared: